• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Official A4LD Problem Thread!

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Did ya do a shift kit? If ya got an adjustable modulator on it, might try backing the screw off a half turn or so. Also, are the cats still on it? If the cats are starting to plug, it will show up more at late second engine and road speeds, causing low manifold vachum there, and making the shift late. Does it seem to matter if its very light throttle, or moderate to heavy acceleration?

HEy Fordman... After I rebuilt the A4LD in the 94 'Sploder, it holds second a lot longer than I like. I did a complete disassebly of the valve body and all that went in it. Perhaps re-adjusting the bands will fix this? Other than that, its a fun beast to drive.

I WILL note, that I have never rebuilt any automatic trans before. I had some pics I found online for help.

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
I hate my truck and my life.. my dad won't even let me take my truck apart to find out why my 4r44e won't shift or drive properly.. makes me want to throw it off a damn cliff, thatnks for the help fordman I figure that's the problem and I need to take the tranny out of the truck to get to it but now I have no way to do it.. my only source of transpertation is ruined( thanks alot dad)

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info fordman! I know this is the problem but now my dad won't let me take the transmission out to really find out.. damn not having the money to have someone help sucks, looks like I'm walkin again!! Thanks a lot pops

88rangerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
When I bought my '88 ext. cab 4x4 with the 2.9L it already been through 11 A4LDs. After being rebuilt the overdrive was gone and it slipped terrible. I junked that A4LD and replaced it with another one. The new one sprouted leaks at the front and rear seal and has had some issues shifting. I plan on doing a manual swap as soon as possible.

pianoman2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a spare A4LD trans to rebuild that has the two solenoid valve body. Can I rebuild it and simply replace the two solenoid valve body for the single solenoid valve body presently in my truck? Sure would simplify things. My trans is going down, and I would like to get this one built up so I can simply bolt it in and go.

Or can the two solenoid valve body be converted to a single solenoid valve body?

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did ya do a shift kit? If ya got an adjustable modulator on it, might try backing the screw off a half turn or so. Also, are the cats still on it? If the cats are starting to plug, it will show up more at late second engine and road speeds, causing low manifold vachum there, and making the shift late. Does it seem to matter if its very light throttle, or moderate to heavy acceleration?

No shift kit, I don't THINK the modulator is adjustable (I didn't know you could even get one!). My son will be home tomorrow and I'll check. Cats? we gutted them. It was down on power and just seemed choked, so we gutted them. We will replace them with a high flow soon, when we add a Flowmaster. Moderate to heavy. Under light throttle it seems to shift just fine.

Thanks brotherman...:icon_thumby:

Ronin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
My situation is I was driving doing 55 mph and all of a sudden the engine revs freely like it is in neutral. I am in gear, but no forward movement. As the truck is slowing down I start shifting it into different gears to see if anything works. Nothing. As I almost come to a stop, it all of a sudden catches and I am able to accelerate. I manually shift back up through the gears, but when I put it into OD the engine revs freely again. So I leave it in Drive and limp it home.

I park it in the driveway and check the trans fluid. Fluid is full, red, and doesn't smell burnt. I jump back in and I have no forward gears, but I do have reverse. Don't have time to mess with it so I leave it for a couple of days.

Find time to do some more checking. No leaking fluid, no forward gears, but still have reverse. I decide to try the transfer case. 4-hi, still nothing. 4-low and I have forward movement except for in OD. I put it back into 2WD and I still have forward movement in all gears except for OD.

So what does this mean and how do I fix it?:icon_confused:

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The pressure controller is easy, pull the pan and there it is.

I hate my truck and my life.. my dad won't even let me take my truck apart to find out why my 4r44e won't shift or drive properly.. makes me want to throw it off a damn cliff, thatnks for the help fordman I figure that's the problem and I need to take the tranny out of the truck to get to it but now I have no way to do it.. my only source of transpertation is ruined( thanks alot dad)

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I really dont know if the machining is the same, but I suspect no.

I have a spare A4LD trans to rebuild that has the two solenoid valve body. Can I rebuild it and simply replace the two solenoid valve body for the single solenoid valve body presently in my truck? Sure would simplify things. My trans is going down, and I would like to get this one built up so I can simply bolt it in and go.

Or can the two solenoid valve body be converted to a single solenoid valve body?

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
First guess, overdrive clutch and/or od overunning roller clutch.

My situation is I was driving doing 55 mph and all of a sudden the engine revs freely like it is in neutral. I am in gear, but no forward movement. As the truck is slowing down I start shifting it into different gears to see if anything works. Nothing. As I almost come to a stop, it all of a sudden catches and I am able to accelerate. I manually shift back up through the gears, but when I put it into OD the engine revs freely again. So I leave it in Drive and limp it home.

I park it in the driveway and check the trans fluid. Fluid is full, red, and doesn't smell burnt. I jump back in and I have no forward gears, but I do have reverse. Don't have time to mess with it so I leave it for a couple of days.

Find time to do some more checking. No leaking fluid, no forward gears, but still have reverse. I decide to try the transfer case. 4-hi, still nothing. 4-low and I have forward movement except for in OD. I put it back into 2WD and I still have forward movement in all gears except for OD.

So what does this mean and how do I fix it?:icon_confused:

Ronin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
First guess, overdrive clutch and/or od overunning roller clutch.
Can you direct me to a resource on how to fix that?

Thanks for quick reply Fordman.:headbang:

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
First, I,d verify the shifter is adjusted properly, it could cause it, but I suspect its internal. Basically, youll need to pull the tranny and tear it down. The ATSG manual is the most informative for the job, and I believe it is on file on this site.

Can you direct me to a resource on how to fix that?

Thanks for quick reply Fordman.:headbang:

Ronin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
First, I,d verify the shifter is adjusted properly, it could cause it, but I suspect its internal. Basically, youll need to pull the tranny and tear it down. The ATSG manual is the most informative for the job, and I believe it is on file on this site.
Thanks Fordman. Wish it was the shifter, but it is not. It is definitely internal to the trans. So I have some work ahead of me. Thanks again.

Fordman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
woops...

Somewhere I stated that the 4.0 had a heaftier od clutch, but that was wrong. It has a heaftier forward clutch. I am going to put a list of clutch specs together from 85 to 91, and assume 92 to 94 are same. The year Ford changed the clutch thickness was 1990, and if you use pre 90 clutches in a post 90 tranny, and visa versa it will fail.

pianoman2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

Short update. I tore the spare A4LD apart, all the clutches and bands look new. The clutch frictions still have the writing on them. It has the snap together sunshell, and the center support with the needle bearings. Not sure why it was tossed. Will pressure check everything before reassembly.

Also took the trans (A4LD) out of my truck and found the overdrive band burnt. (again) but the frictions and steels still with the printing still on it. When I adjusted the overdrive band, I torqued to 10foot pounds, then backed out 1 1/2 turns. Still too tight? No other damage found in the trans out of the pickup.

Any tips to keep the over drive band from burning again? Am I not adjusting it correctly? Could I have a valve on the valve body leaking or a bad servo?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals