• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will a 2.3 Turbo diesel go into a BroncoII?

flyboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have an 86 Ranger 2wd 5spd with a good 2.3 Mitsubishi TD.
The body & frame are dissintegrating.
Can I put the engine into a 4x4 BroncoII gasser?
Would it be a direct bolt up?
Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!
Thanx

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
What engin does the BII have? If its not a 2.3 then no unless you change the bellhousing on the BII tranny. But Im not sure though how the BII tranny would hold up to the 2.3 diesel either.

Must be nice to have one of the 2.3 diesels. Im in th process of looking for one.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi with
Engine Size
2.3 Turbodiesel
Transmission
Manual
The 2.3 diesel will swap into your Bronco II with out any issues. To make sure the swap is done correctly you will want to pull the front wiring harness and the cluster so you can swap them into the Bronco II. You will need to gut the Bronco II engine bay and swap all the diesel parts, especially the starter. You will need to remove the bellhousing off the diesels tranny, and leave the flywheel on the back of the engine. You have a few choices of transmissions depending on the year of your Bronco II. If you have an 84-87 Bronco II, I recommend you use the FM145 4x4 tranny, if you have an 88-90 Bronco II, I recommend you use the FM146 4x4 tranny. As stated above you may already have one of these trannies in your bronco II, but you will need to swap bellhousings to mate the engine and tranny.

The only real issue I can see here is your ranger is a 2wd, so you may have a hard time hooking up the 4wd light on the dash because your 2wd diesel cluster lack a 4wd light, You may also need to spice the two harnesses together if you have electric windows power lock etc. Otherwise this is a straight forward swap that can be done over the weekend.

Also take special care with the fuel tank, you probably don't need to swap tanks be certain to have the tank cleaned and flushed.

Last edited:

flyboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanx for the info; sounds promising.
I haven't got the BII yet, but Im leaning towards a '90 because of the stronger axels

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
What engin does the BII have? If its not a 2.3 then no unless you change the bellhousing on the BII tranny. But Im not sure though how the BII tranny would hold up to the 2.3 diesel either.

Must be nice to have one of the 2.3 diesels. Im in th process of looking for one.
there was one about half hour from me the old lady just wanted it gone for $100 but it was the 2.2 non turbo, still would of been nice to have but i bought a 86 2.9 auto instead :buttkick: (im the one with my ass kicked)

Thanx for the info; sounds promising.
I haven't got the BII yet, but Im leaning towards a '90 because of the stronger axels
not all '90s have stronger axles. when you look for one make sure the diff has 10 bolts, the weaker axle like all the older b2s and rangers got 12 bolts.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi with
Engine Size
2.3 Turbodiesel
Transmission
Manual
The biggest advantage I can see to having the stronger Dana 35 axle is you have more aftermarket gearing options, I think the lowest gear ratio you can get on the Dana 28 axle was 4.56.

flyboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Greetings.
Will the diesel bellhousing from a 2wd Toyo Koygo (code 5) Transmission
Mate up to the gas4 wd Mitsubishi 5 spd (code D)?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi with
Engine Size
2.3 Turbodiesel
Transmission
Manual
Greetings.
Will the diesel bellhousing from a 2wd Toyo Koygo (code 5) Transmission
Mate up to the gas4 wd Mitsubishi 5 spd (code D)?
If you are asking if the bell housing from a Mitsubishi turbo diesel mated to the 2wd TK5 transmission will swap to an FM145 from a gas powers vehicle then the answer is yes. You may need to adjust the drive shafts but this is a pretty straight forward swap. The bell housing will mount to the TK4, TK5, FM145, and the FM146 in both 2wd and 4wd configurations.

flyboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats exactly what I wanted to know.
Thanx again for the info.
Also, will a 1987 BII body bolt onto a 1990 frame
without mounting Mods?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
mazda
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Manual
the bodies will swap...

aaron47

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
there was one about half hour from me the old lady just wanted it gone for $100 but it was the 2.2 non turbo, still would of been nice to have but i bought a 86 2.9 auto instead :buttkick: (im the one with my ass kicked)

not all '90s have stronger axles. when you look for one make sure the diff has 10 bolts, the weaker axle like all the older b2s and rangers got 12 bolts.
how long ago was the diesel ranger for sale?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual

Presuming you have a complete donor vehicle there's no good reason why this swap wouldn't go smoothly.

the only issue will be with fitting your bellhousing to the trans that's in the bronco2, because I presume you want the 4x4 to work when you are done?

As far as the transmission holding up to the diesel?

Tranmissions care about torque, and though the diesel engine produces torque at a lower rpm, it doesn't produce as much torque as say... a properly running 2.9....

as a note an 85-87 Bellhousing will only mate up to an 88-92 FM146 IF you also have a front bearing retainer for an FM145 to swap onto the FM146.

the bearing retainer is different on the FM146 to accomodate the difference in slave cylinders used 1988-up.

Frankly if given a choice you'd be better off with a TK5 if you can locate a good 4x4 version...

AD

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals