• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1989 Ranger Payload & Towing Capacity???

Nobody_Special

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Anybody know what the Payload Capacity is for my Ranger?
I hauled 100 gallons of water with it yesterday and it seemed like it might have been a bit too much. The empty water tank that goes in the bed is only about 40 lbs, so with the water it should be at, or just under 900 lbs. (100 gallons = approx 835 lbs.) This is my first time hauling a load that heavy, so maybe it just felt weird but was still okay?

I'd prefer not to tow the tank on a trailer, but if I had to, can anyone tell me the towing capacity of this truck too?

My truck is all stock, no modifications...
1989 Ford Ranger
4x4, X-cab, 2 door, 6 foot bed
2.9 V-6, w/ 5 speed manual

Thanks!!!

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
most of the manuals say 2,000# with 200# on the bumper hitch is maximum for towing. if you get a frame hitch and a trailer with brakes, you can extend that some. also, you need to see what axle ratio you have. you'll be able to tow and haul more easily with 4.10 gears than with 3.45 gears, for example. you're just getting the most out of your engine with the right gears for your needs.
also, you should double check your suspension. may have old, weak or rusty springs, bad shocks, no anti-sway bars on the front or rear, etc.
as for hauling, check your door plate to see what your GVW is. take your truck to a local weigh station carrying it's normal daily load and weigh it. subtract that weight from the GVW and that is how much you can haul safely depending on the condition of your truck.
these are most common areas to evaluate for hauling and towing. it's not just one thing, but the combination and condition of all the parts on your truck that determines how much and how well you can do things with it.
just my $.02.

oh... and Welcome to TRS !!!

Last edited:

tanbuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my truck doesnt like 900 lbs in the bed, but ive done it before. Keep the weight as far foreward as possible, maybe get a add a leaf spring for the back too.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
i hauled a car with my ranger one time :)

Python86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've had almost 1800lbs in the box. On the F-150 springs but still, she took it. I'll upload a picture later when i'm on my home computer :D it's funny

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Generally 1,100 to 1,200 lbs is about tops for in the bed. But since you have an older truck, it depends on how worn out the rear springs are. Set of really clapped out springs will make the bed look saggy even empty.

For trailers, I'd say 3,000lbs is ok for any Ranger (for the most part). 4,000lbs get's a little tough on the smaller engines. 4.0's can do roughly 6,000 lbs.

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
900#, centered over the axle, is pretty close to the max. Any other weight in the truck also counts toward the load capacity.

It isn't going to feel the same loaded as it does empty. It's going to feel loaded. Slower to accelerate, more time in each gear, increased braking distance. The leaf springs are designed to have lots of give in the early stages so the ride is comfortable, but to stiffen as the weight increases so it can carry a load. The rear is going to sag under 900# load. It's supposed to.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have had 1400lbs in the bed of mine for an extended period. Not to bad that was back when I was running the stock leafs. Wasn't sitting on the bump stops and had a ways to go. Built another ranger with a bastard pack and an AAL in the rear that one held a little over 2K in the bed without hitting bump stops. Rebuild your leaf pack and put some work into the breaks.

Welder0800

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have had 3/4 ton of stonedust in my 89 multiple times, did fine. I also haul firewood a half cord at a time as long as it's dry, does okay. Air shocks helped a lot with the ride however:icon_thumby:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a trailer made out of a Ranger and I've put 5,000# into it. It bends the springs over backwards--there are no bumpstops. But I don't trust it as a vehicle. The outer bearings on the little semi-float Ranger axle carry the load. On a full-float axle, there are a pair of big bearings on a spindle. Any full-float axle could carry 10,000#. The bearings on a full-float axle are oversized because the spindle is oversized so the axleshaft will fit through it. If you want to abuse something, a truck with a little semi-float isn't the thing. It's a Ford Mustang axle, not a truck axle.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
A lot of smaller trucks carry a semi float axle. This includes older 3/4 ton pickups. There are semi float 10.25s and 14 bolts not to mention the 9.75, 9.25 and 10 bolt in your run of the mil half tons.

Fuelaltered

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 & 95 splash
Make / Model
Ranger shortbed
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
2 inches on both
My credo
AF B-47 bombers
Anybody know what the Payload Capacity is for my Ranger?
I hauled 100 gallons of water with it yesterday and it seemed like it might have been a bit too much. The empty water tank that goes in the bed is only about 40 lbs, so with the water it should be at, or just under 900 lbs. (100 gallons = approx 835 lbs.) This is my first time hauling a load that heavy, so maybe it just felt weird but was still okay?

I'd prefer not to tow the tank on a trailer, but if I had to, can anyone tell me the towing capacity of this truck too?

My truck is all stock, no modifications...
1989 Ford Ranger
4x4, X-cab, 2 door, 6 foot bed
2.9 V-6, w/ 5 speed manual

Thanks!!!

I have an 85, 86, 97 all fours, and have towed a dragster n an enclosed trailer with two of them. A real struggle, but doable. Also have a restored 81 C-10 w/inline six, and only see a slight improvement.
Currently looking at a newer 4 cyl turbo to install in one of my trucks.

Ranger305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 Vulcan
Transmission
Manual
Towing for my '92 witha v6/5spd is 2000lbs. I used to tow a 16' boat at 1800-1900lbs and while I had plenty of power, brakes were at the limit and the boat would really try to move the truck on the highway.

As for payload, Mine sags with anything over 3-400lbs now. I've had well over 1200 in it before, but that's part of why my springs are essentially flat now. I may upgrade soon to some explorer or newer ranger springs.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yoused to haul cars with my 2.8 5speed 2wd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals