• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Heater not working ive tried everything.

lumbee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1995 ford ranger 2.3L the heat is not working. About 2mon ago the temp gauge inside the truck was no longer moving aslong with the heat did not work so i thought it was just the t-stat. i replaced it and still will not work i broke the temp. sending unit connected to the thermostat housing so i replace it as well and still nothing. i did some research and thought it was the blend door so i cut a hole into the housing behind the glove box and the door is moving like it should. the hoses going to the heater core are hot but i dont think they are as hot as they should be. like i can grab them and hold them for a while before i have to let go how hot should they be?? if the heater core is clogged how do i do a heater core flush to remove all the gunk??

maverick1970

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
Under the hood on the passenger side of the truck where the hoses go through the firewall to the heater core, you'll find the heater control valve.

Looks something like this

You can disconnect the hoses on the cab side of the valve and flush it that way. After doing that, I would check and make sure you don't have any air in your cooling system. I had the same problem. I think the air pocket I had caused the temp gauge not to work properly masking the fact that I was running the truck hot which resulted in me cracking my cylinder head. Don't be like me... Treat cooling system problems very seriously.

lumbee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
ok i found the HCV is their anything i should check on the valve? and how exactly do i flush it? ive never did it befor and the threads ive read go back and forwards about what to use to flush it. so what is the best way to do it? i have no problem useing water but do i just put the water hose at the pipe and pump it full? if so then what do u do? how do you get the air out if there is any? should i flush the radiator and all or just the HC?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Buy a bottle of Prestone Flush and follow the directions on the label.

If you want to do the heater core, take the hoses off at the firewall and flush it out with water AFTER using the Prestone.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Are you feeling both hoses at the firewall. What tstat did you use? Your fan works? You got all the air out of the system?

lumbee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
yes i felt both hoses and the fan works. how do i know if i have air in the system and how do u get it out? also a neighbor felt my upper radiator hose a said it should be hard when you grab it and the truck is running because it builds up pressure is this right?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
yes i felt both hoses and the fan works. how do i know if i have air in the system and how do u get it out? also a neighbor felt my upper radiator hose a said it should be hard when you grab it and the truck is running because it builds up pressure is this right?
when you felt the hoses.....................................where they hot or cold

lumbee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
they are both hot. when u said fan are you talking about the one behind the radiator?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
they are both hot. when u said fan are you talking about the one behind the radiator?
I was talking about the heater fan/blower motor, not the coolng fan in front of the rad. if both hoses are hot at the firewall I doubt it is your heater core. your upper rad hose should get hot and filled with coolant after the tstat opens.

lumbee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
ok i still have no heat i checked the valve and the vacume hose going to it had some suction on it should i still unhook the hcv? also my radiator is not buikding up no pressure i can drive the truck nonstop for 20miles stop and take the radiator cap off i dont think this is normal. any suggestions please we are on a 12 days streak of 30 degree days its not suppose to be this cold in nc lol.

lumbee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i fixed it. the radiator cap was bad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals