• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cruise control swap

parisot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well to start this off, I read in the tech library the artical about puting after market cruise control in a ranger and it stated that taking the stock cruise control out of a doner truck is a PITA. Well I would say calling it a PITA is a bit of an understatment....

here is what i got
doner 93 ranger 4x4 auto 4.0 with cruise control
swaping to 91 ranger 4x4 manual 4.0 no cruise control yet

So far i have the all of the wiring traced and pulled out of the wiring harness. I pulled the wiring that runs to the stearing wheel, then the two connectors that run to the glove box and connects to the cruise control computer of some type. from there one of the connectors runs to the cruise control module mounted on the drivers side fender. The other connector has a wire that runs to a ground, a wire that runs to the fuse box a blue green wire, and three wires that run through the big connector in the fire wall. A pink with orange stripe, a solid green wire, and a grey with black stripe. does anyone know or does anyone have a wiring diagram that will tell me where these wire run too? I really dont want to rip all of the wiring harnes out of the engine bay to find out...

All help is appreciated,
Thanks

parisot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
reading back through the cruise control sticky, i see that the vss is usually a grey black wire. so that solves one wire. any ideas on the others?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

parisot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagram_Cruisecontrol_1of2.JPG

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/EDiagrams/files/Diagram_Cruisecontrol_2of2.JPG

These do you any good? Send me a PM with your e-mail address, I'll send you the 93 schematic for Cruise and a bunch of other stuff (all 93).
yes that helps me. I didnt realize that there were wiring diagrams in the tech library.. PM sent too..

So by looking at the diagram,
pink orange is just another ground
gray black is the vss
light green is a constant power that turns off cruise control when interupted?
I dont see a blue/green wire that is fused on those diagrams though. any ideas on that?

Also, does anyone know where i could tie into the vss wire on my 91 ranger?

parisot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok, i found out that the blue/green wire is switched power(switched with the key in acc. or run position) that runs through a 10 amp fuse.

I guess that leaves me with only one question. does anyone know where i can tie into the vss wire (grey black) on my 91 ranger?

parisot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i think i have solved all of my questions except one. Can anyone tell me if i can just tie the pink/orange wire comming out of the VSS Amplifier to ground since that is how it is being shown on the wiring diagram?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals