• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How big a trailer can I pull with my ranger

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I pull a 24 foot travel trailer with my 2005 Sport Trac with the 4.0L, automatic and 4.10 gears. Its an absolute dog to tow. My trailer weighs in at 4200 lbs dry weight and the Sport Trac is rated for 5200lbs. I'm now looking at selling the sport trac and buying a super duty to tow with.

I would not even consider anything over 18 feet with a 2.9L and 5spd trans. Autos are rated to tow more. And would definitely be looking for an ultra light model.

You also have to consider the frontal area of the trailer...dragging that huge ass wind sail down the road with a 2.9L is gonna be a chore.

With a pull trailer you get the advantage of using an equalizer hitch to distribute the weight over both the front and rear axle of the truck, which will tow a ton better and help with trailer sway.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
autos may be rated to tow more, but i sure as hell would never tow with one.

LordVngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok guys

Here's to the type of 5th wheel I'm thinking about. it's 25 foot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-Sierra-Cobra-Fifth-Wheel-trailer-Clean-No-Reserve-/270629399820?pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item3f02c4ed0c

I look at that and think, yep big enough for an exteded stay if need be and small enough that maybe my ranger could tow it. The overhang might be misleading but when I look at the picture of the side it doest Look that big, kinda small actually.

I checked my manual and it shows a payload weight of 1300 lbs and a GVWR weight of 4650lbs for my truck. I'm not 100% sure what that means. Can I tow a trailer that weight OR is that the combined weight of the truck including everything in it and on it And included the total weight of the towed item. If so, figure the truck weighs a ton , ton and 1/2, plus people, gas, gear, dont leave much room left over to tow anything it seems.

Can someone explain that to me and also the advantages / disadvantages of convential trailer verses 5th wheel.

Also what about the 5th wheel hitch. Are they custom made for each model truck or do you just buy the hitch and then a Mounting kit for your type truck. Might be kind of hard to buy for a ranger. Go into Lazy Days and ask for a 5th wheel mount kit for a ranger. They would probably laugh......

Lv

Last edited:

LiLRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mu opinion is you will never be able to tow a big enough (or stop) a trailer big enough for anything over a weekend camping trip (and that would be pushing it!)

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You aren't pulling that 5th wheel very far with a 2.9.

My parents have a 19' Scamp fiver and I could easily live in it by myself. It has a hanging closet, a bathroom with a shower you can stand up in and the bed doesn't have to be taken up for a table like other small ones. They pull it with a 1500 Ram with a 3.9 and a 6-speed and it does great. Your Ranger would be fine as well.

I had a 16' Casita up until a few years ago and we pulled it with a Mazda pickup with a 4-cylinder auto. I could have lived in that as well because of the arrangement--it also had a bed you could leave made. The Scamp 19' is better though. It's not as well built, but it would be better to live in. We had the 16' Spirit Deluxe.

Whatever you get, you won't be going fast. Your 140hp is enough power, but you have to think like a trucker and use the whole engine and be patient. You have to let the motor spin up to the top of each gear. You can't attach a big friggin thing to your hitch and jam the gas down to the floor and expect to launch off like you did empty. You have to roll in the power at the rate the engine is able to build rpms. If you just jam the pedal to the floor and swear and slap the dash yelling "On you fkkin huskies!" you'll just jack the egts, overheat the cylinder heads, put unneccesary strain on the driveline and piss yourself off taking all of the fun out of the drive.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, since he's comin from Florida, and headin out west, he can pick up the banner and just pack it that way. JK

I had forgot about braking. Since ur talking bout that far of a trip, I hope ur 2.9 is in top condition and that u have a 4.0 radiator in it. That engine will get hot on that long of a trip.

Not saying it can't be done. Just plan ur route where other TRS members are so if u need something we are available. lol

LordVngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hey, since he's comin from Florida, and headin out west, he can pick up the banner and just pack it that way. JK

I had forgot about braking. Since ur talking bout that far of a trip, I hope ur 2.9 is in top condition and that u have a 4.0 radiator in it. That engine will get hot on that long of a trip.

Not saying it can't be done. Just plan ur route where other TRS members are so if u need something we are available. lol

LOL, I hear ya man. Luckily my 2.9 has the late model heads on it. Have Never had a overheating problem, Ever and I've owned the truck about 10 years now and probably put about 60k m iles on it. Not sure if it has a 4.0 liter radiator or not, probably not But it's never overheated.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok guys

I checked my manual and it shows a payload weight of 1300 lbs and a GVWR weight of 4650lbs for my truck. I'm not 100% sure what that means. Can I tow a trailer that weight OR is that the combined weight of the truck including everything in it and on it And included the total weight of the towed item. If so, figure the truck weighs a ton , ton and 1/2, plus people, gas, gear, dont leave much room left over to tow anything it seems.

Can someone explain that to me and also the advantages / disadvantages of convential trailer verses 5th wheel.

Lv
The GVWR is the total weight of everything, truck, trailer, gas, passengers, beer cans in the bed etc. You're right, that doesn't leave a lot of room. I wonder if the factory rating is on the high or low end of things though. On one hand, they might like to go high, so it seems that the truck is mighty, on the other hand, they might go low so there's some safety factor for everything.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
LOL, I hear ya man. Luckily my 2.9 has the late model heads on it. Have Never had a overheating problem, Ever and I've owned the truck about 10 years now and probably put about 60k m iles on it. Not sure if it has a 4.0 liter radiator or not, probably not But it's never overheated.
you should get the radiator from a... i think 93 or 92 ranger with the 4.0/automatic.

that was, when i got one, a three core radiator, good stuff.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The GVWR is the total weight of everything, truck, trailer, gas, passengers, beer cans in the bed etc. You're right, that doesn't leave a lot of room. I wonder if the factory rating is on the high or low end of things though. On one hand, they might like to go high, so it seems that the truck is mighty, on the other hand, they might go low so there's some safety factor for everything.
No. GVWR is the total vertical load on both axles. GCWR is the trailer + truck.

The trailer needs to do its own braking. Any trailer in consideration will have brakes on each axle. The truck need the controller installed to actuate them. Brakes are not a consideration on the tow vehicle. However, trailer brakes need more service than vehicle brakes. Most don't auto adjust. The magnets wear rapidly if you use them a lot. The way they work is that the brake controller energizes an electro magnet that grabs at the inside of the drum. The drum pulls the magnet, which is attached to the brakes in such a way that it spreads the shoes out and presses them into the drums. Drum brakes are bad--like little ovens--and they fade quickly, and the magnets tear up the inside of the drum which reduces the surface area of the contact. there is quickly a lot less pull on the shoes. And the shoes wear and don't engage as readily because the brakes don't self adjust. Most trailer brakes are faulty due to neglegence so don't buy a trailer of any age and think the brakes are fine just because they are there. The brakes should lock and skid at max power.

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

The trailer needs to do its own braking. Any trailer in consideration will have brakes on each axle. The truck need the controller installed to actuate them. Brakes are not a consideration on the tow vehicle. However, trailer brakes need more service than vehicle brakes. Most don't auto adjust. The magnets wear rapidly if you use them a lot. The way they work is that the brake controller energizes an electro magnet that grabs at the inside of the drum. The drum pulls the magnet, which is attached to the brakes in such a way that it spreads the shoes out and presses them into the drums. Drum brakes are bad--like little ovens--and they fade quickly, and the magnets tear up the inside of the drum which reduces the surface area of the contact. there is quickly a lot less pull on the shoes. And the shoes wear and don't engage as readily because the brakes don't self adjust. Most trailer brakes are faulty due to neglegence so don't buy a trailer of any age and think the brakes are fine just because they are there. The brakes should lock and skid at max power.

or, if you're smart, you'll run an electro-hydraulic system, they operate from a standard electrical brake controller, the complicated part is all trailer side.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
That is not Ranger tow-able...you would want a 1/2 ton truck at minimum for something that size.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My bad. You sir are quite corrrect.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals