• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New 4.2L FWD motor to 3L auto Ranger?

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
The 4.2L in my Freestar looks to be the same block as the 3.8L in my old Windstar. If ever the opporunity arises would the 4.2L FWD fit as does the old 3.8L FWD? If you have driven the new F-stars, the HP is only around 200 but the torque is nice at 268 and the curve is 3600 to 4200 rpm. Which makes it a very nice driving engine for the weight van is slightly heaver than 2002 Edge extra cab 2 door. :icon_confused:

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
since a 4.2 is simply a stroked 3.8 i think it would be nice, the question is are the bolt patterns the same. til somebody takes one out and confirms its a 3.0 pattern not a 5.0 pattern i dont think anybody will attempt it.

Piper106

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
According to one of the websites that talks about Ford trans bolt patterns, the FWD 3.8 / 4.2 L V6 motors have the same trans bolt pattern as the Ranger 3.0 V6.

That is what I have read, I have not seen the parts in question, so proceed with caution.

Piper106

Moto Mel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Li
Transmission
Automatic
According to one of the websites that talks about Ford trans bolt patterns, the FWD 3.8 / 4.2 L V6 motors have the same trans bolt pattern as the Ranger 3.0 V6.

That is what I have read, I have not seen the parts in question, so proceed with caution.

Piper106
The bolt pattern is also the same between the 3.8 V6 and the 4.6 V8 which gives a multitude of engine swap choices.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
The bolt pattern is also the same between the 3.8 V6 and the 4.6 V8 which gives a multitude of engine swap choices.
The 3.8L V6 in a Rear Wheel drive application will share the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the modular mustang V8s. The 3.8L V6 found in front wheel drive (trans-axle) applications will share the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the vulcan 3.0L V6. In order to bolt a 3.8L/4.2L V6 to the 3.0L vulcan's transmission, you would need to find one out of a FWD vehicle.

Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3L
Transmission
Automatic
The 3.8L V6 in a Rear Wheel drive application will share the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the modular mustang V8s.
Doesn't a RWD 3.8L have a SBF bellhousing? Or did Ford make the RWD 3.8L in both SBF and Modular bellhousings.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Not all the 3.8's have a Winsor bellhousing.

I can tell you for certain that the manual trans I have out of a Thunderbird Supercoop is most definatly NOT a windsor bellhousing.

I got the trans in the hope of using it to make a 2wd 5.0 Ranger
without using a cable clutch or an "R2" F-series transmission.

That hope died as soon as I had the trans next to the 5.0 engine
I had at the time.

AD

Faster7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Automatic

I can tell you for certain that the manual trans I have out of a Thunderbird Supercoop is most definatly NOT a windsor bellhousing.

I had at the time.

AD
:icon_confused: Can you send pictures of that transmission? I've been around supercoupes and other IRS thunderbirds for years, and every 3.8 car has has had the windsor bellhousing. Same thing with my '82 grenada 3.8 V6 and the early fox 3.8's I've worked on.

DCinDC

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The 4.2 fwd will be my upgrade path when my 3.0 dies, which is unlikely cuz I have a dizzy.

Hey Allan! :wave:

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
OK let me get this I can take the 4.6 out of the wifes Muff-stang and drop it in the ranger with out swapping the trans. Ya that will last a week before the trans is in peices. But I wish someone would do the a 4.2 swap. that might be a cool swap with good info.

351crownvic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
3.8 rwd is sbf.... fwd 3.8s have the 3.0 bolt patern... FWD is stamped on the side of the block in big letters.. early early early 4.6s like some 92's had the sbf bellhousing pattern. its a rare find..

B24FREE

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic

I had at the time.

AD
Well I think you got the wrong tranny!!! I saved the AOD when I parted out my 1990 thunderbird supercoupe and I used that exact tranny in my 5.0 ranger for a year till I did the T-5 swap. I also swapped the supercoupe 3.8 into my 1990 mustang and used a regular 5.0 mustang t-5 tranny. The RWD 3.8 has the windsor bolt pattern. I could post some pix if needbe. I forget the name of the supercoupe tranny ,but it is not a T-5 and the shifter would be farther back than the T-5.

Last edited:

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
don't know about the fwd crap,but when i pulled the 3.8 from a 94 mustang to replace it with a built 351w i just bolted it up to the stock t5-worked great,even if it was a little squirly.

boisdarcpost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 l
Transmission
Automatic
I have a nice 94 XLT with 3.0 L V6. As it now has over 140,000 miles, I am considering swapping in a 4.2 V6 & AOD from a 97 or later F150. This seems like it would be the perfect combo for the Ranger. My truck has a 4 inch body lift, so clearance should be no problem. My main concerns relate to the electronics. It would be just a street machine. Has anyone out there done this swap.

myold96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
engine swap

would the 5spd out of a 96 ranger 2wd bolt up to a 3.8lengine out of a 95 windstar?:dunno:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals