• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how to tell if the cltuch needs replacing?

1988Rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i just bought a new ranger and its a manual it has no engine it right now i wann check the clutch before i put it in, how do i check it? and how does it go in lol, its in a box right now

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
It has no engine?

Usually the clutch is attached to the flywheel, which is attach the engine..

However, if you have the clutch in a box, take a look at the clutch disc, does it look worn out/worn down? Maybe post a pic and we'd be able to tell you.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If the engine is out I would not play around with a used clutch, it's not worth the trouble for what a new one costs.

1988Rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok so it attchaches then slides in? and yeah ill post some pics tommorow mornig. and how much is a clutch worth

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
ok so it attchaches then slides in? and yeah ill post some pics tommorow mornig. and how much is a clutch worth
:icon_confused: How much is a used clutch worth? Uh, I wouldn't buy one used that's for sure... Unless I knew it hadn't been installed...

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
Transmission
Manual
on the 88 for a new clutch kit: clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing and several pilot bearings were about 100 to 180 dollars depending where i bought it. Add another 100 - 200 for a new flywheel, maybe 50 from a junk yard and 40 to reface it.

Hope the harnesses for the engine are still there.

1988Rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i wasnt going to buy a used cltuch... i was asking how much a new one is, and i have two wiring harnesses the truck i bought has the engine and its all complete just torn apart. and also if i posted a pic of the clutch could u tell me what if it was good still? and if this new engine was an auto do i need to change the flywheel to run a manual in my truck

Last edited:

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
i wasnt going to buy a used cltuch... i was asking how much a new one is, and i have two wiring harnesses the truck i bought has the engine and its all complete just torn apart. and also if i posted a pic of the clutch could u tell me what if it was good still? and if this new engine was an auto do i need to change the flywheel to run a manual in my truck

Yes, an auto uses a 'flexplate' instead of a 'flywheel'. The clutch attaches between the flywheel and pressure plate which is all attached to the engine.

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
Transmission
Manual
you need 1/16 minimum clutch material on the disc higher than the rivets and referencing the face on both sides, that will get you about 5000 miles before she starts to slip. Should be matte finish with no shiny spots, and no black metal parts. disc should also be reasonably flat say no more than .035 out of flat.

look for black marks on pressure plate either side if you have one. >> dish shaped thing with metal fingers in the center.

flywheel is heavy thing about 30+ lbs with gear teeth on the outside. if it doesn't weigh 30+ lbs then it is an automatic flywheel. no black here either, but can be resurfaced.

note: special bolts on pressure plate to flywheel, flywheel to crankshaft.

Sorry, you didn't indicate you had an engine or your skills level for repairs

Last edited:

1988Rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
It looks like the flywheel can be resurfaced but I would install a new clutch kit (pressure plate, disc, throwout bearing and slave and pilot bearing). You could probably get by with what you have but eventually you will need to replace the clutch components. Now is the time to do it unless you are really low on cash.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
For lazy people like me

The disc looks to me like it has some life left in it.
The flywheel I would resurface for sure.

Make sure you get a clutch alignment tool, or you'll have a heck of a time putting the tranny in!

Last edited:

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
Transmission
Manual
everything looks good enough to throw back in. I myself would get a new throwout bearing just because I hate to R&R trannies. the throw out bearing will be on the tranny slave cyl, the round thing in the center of the bell housing on the front of the tranny. the flywheel has the correct bolts and the disc has to be installed with the thick mulit layered side towards the transmission. You will need a pilot tool, something that fits in the center bearing of the flywheel (like a 2 inch long bolt) with enough tape wrapped on it at the top so that the clutch disc will just fit {to center the disc over the pilot bearing,} otherwise the tranny will be a Bi*ch to bolt together. 6 clutch bolts will fit in the outside flywheel holes and be about 1 inch long with a washer built in. should have 3 or 6 bars on the head touching the points of the hex (grade 5 or 9 bolts)

kkjb4x4.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
I once replaced a trans in my grand am ,,didn't replace the clutch disc,, Had to take it all apart two weeks later to replace the clutch disc..If you can afford it I highly recomend you replace the clutch.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Just resurface the flywheel and buy a new clutch kit. My local machine shop charges $22 for the flywheel grind and I got a clutch kit off rockauto for $41 shipped.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals