• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How big a trailer can I pull with my ranger

LordVngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys

Questions for you. I'm toying with the idea of buying a trailer to go camping with and wondering how big a trailer can I pull with my ranger.

I have a 1989 Supercab ranger 4x4 with a 5 speed 2.9 liter V6. It also has a 3.73 limited slip rearend in it. The truck has a class 3 reciever hitch on it. Finally there is a factory lift kit on it about 2 1/2 or 3 inches and a 2 inch body lift. Not sure if that matters but wanted to throw that out there.

I have 2 questions?

1 - How big of standard trailer/camper can I pull with the truck and not have any issues with it or put a undue strain on the truck.

2 - What about a 5th wheel type tralier. I see some pretty nice small 5th wheels out there. How big a 5th wheel can I reasonable pull.

My own opnion is I should beable to pull a little bit bigger 5th wheel then a regular trailer because of the weight distribution but dont know this for sure because I have no experience with pulling anything with the truck before except a small motorcycle trailer

On a side note the roof of my truck was rusting and I tried a product called Extend but the rust came right back. So I tried that product called Rust bullet. Good stuff guys. thanks for the tip.......

LV

Last edited:

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've pulled my 16' flatbed trailer w about a 2500 lb tractor on it w my B2. it was a chore, but it did it.

Never seen a 5th wheel or gooseneck on a ranger. I don't think that the rearend would hold up very well.

Not to mention that the springs are rated for less than that of a half tons.

crusin93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1998
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Nither have I. Really makes no sense to consider a 5th wheel when the axle is rated at 500# or something ridiclous like that. I'd call U-haul. They will tell you exactly what the truck is rated for and in what configuration, LEGALLY.

LordVngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've pulled my 16' flatbed trailer w about a 2500 lb tractor on it w my B2. it was a chore, but it did it.

Never seen a 5th wheel or gooseneck on a ranger. I don't think that the rearend would hold up very well.

Not to mention that the springs are rated for less than that of a half tons.
Hmmmm, didnt think about that. Shows how much towing experience I have. The reason I thought you could pull a bigger 5th wheel trailer then regular trailer is because all the weight is on the bed/frame of the truck and not being pulled behind. You make some valid points though and something to think about for sure. Thanks.....

LV

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've pulled a 12x5 trailer that weighs +500# by itself, loaded to the gills with mostly metal shelving, on the bumper, with almost the same truck you have. You have better gears than I do.

I would NOT under any circumstances put a 5th wheel in a Ranger, even if you could find one that would fit a Ranger, one that has anything less than a V-8 and FS axles wouldn't really be able to tow anything that is heavy enough to need a 5th wheel.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
something else to think about, your ranger will probably not have too many problems towing a camper, but you want to make sure you can stop it if you need too. a heavy trailer will push you right through an intersection if you don't have the brakes to stop it.

If it is on the heavy side and you are planning on towing it up and down hills, get a good set of trailer brakes installed.

AJ

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Nither have I. Really makes no sense to consider a 5th wheel when the axle is rated at 500# or something ridiclous like that. I'd call U-haul. They will tell you exactly what the truck is rated for and in what configuration, LEGALLY.
no such thing as laws regarding towing weight on a ranger.

legally, you could have a gooseneck trailer hooked to your ranger with a bumper pull hooked to that, and you wouldn't be breaking any laws.

or you could have a steel coil in the bed of your truck, and again, there are no laws stopping you.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Dont ever underestimate the guesses of hte newbs. They have a right to offer input as well. Also you never know when a newb will have a point of view us complacent vets forget to think about.

Anyways back to topic. You can reasonably pull a good sized trailer, as long as you have a well maintained braking system and properly setup towing system. IE the proper electronics if your trailer has a trailer brake, correct weight distribution system your trailer is setup for it. Proper gearing, lighting, and of course the common sense to properly drive the trailer you have hitched up. Meaning knowing when to use your OD(if automatic) or 5th (if manual). Your camping trailer will be alot different than your motorcycle trailer in aerodynamics, weight, bulk, etc. Im sure you get the point. Just about any popup style camper you can pull. (with one or two of the very large exceptions) You can pull the bumper mount fullsize campers if they are a more compact size. nothing over 14 ft I would say.

You have a 5spd with 3.73's that automatically gives you an advantage over some of the older rangers with higher gears, but I would still suggest maybe investing in some 4.10's. Gander mountain has some flat trailer styles, that have the popout tents on them and are a little more room for a little less weight than popups, but allow you pack and stack more gear. (added weight of course). How far will you drive with it? How fast or slow are you willing to drive. What fuel sacrifices will you make. All these affect your trailer decisions. Just some thing to consider. BUt simply put, get something you can afford to safely drive.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, boyz. I pulled out my factory original manual for my '88. Maximum gross combined weight rating (GWCr) for a 2.9 and 3.73's is 6000#'s. Trailer weight from 2000-3000 lbs. My 3.45 rear end is rated for a trailer weight of 2000#.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So meaning however much is loaded in the bed before hookng uphte trailer your tow rating is decreased by however much extra weight is in the bed.....

crusin93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1998
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
no such thing as laws regarding towing weight on a ranger.

legally, you could have a gooseneck trailer hooked to your ranger with a bumper pull hooked to that, and you wouldn't be breaking any laws.

or you could have a steel coil in the bed of your truck, and again, there are no laws stopping you.
Aahh to the contrary. There ARE laws regarding towing/hauling in trucks dirven by persons not having a CDL. I know it is not a standardized law across all states however my state has adopted a strict law after the death of a few too many people due to overloaded trucks. You now can be pulled over for no other reason, they can tow your rig and trailer, and then you get to pay the fine to get it out of impound.:annoyed:

That's why I recomended calling U-haul. They know your state's law regarding towing limits and your particluar vehicle.

+1 for the HD trailer brakes. It dosen't matter how much you can tow if you can't stop it!

Last edited:

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Aahh to the contrary. There ARE laws regarding towing/hauling in trucks dirven by persons not having a CDL. I know it is not a standardized law across all states however my state has adopted a strict law after the death of a few too many people due to overloaded trucks. You now can be pulled over for no other reason, they can tow your rig and trailer, and then you get to pay the fine to get it out of impound.:annoyed:

That's why I recomended calling U-haul. They know your state's law regarding towing limits and your particluar vehicle.

+1 for the HD trailer brakes. It dosen't matter how much you can tow if you can't stop it!
news to me, but about damn time either way.

LordVngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual

Now That's what I'm talking about. Rig doesnt really look that bad I dont think. I think I was a little misleading when I said I was looking for a trailer to go camping.

I live in florida and have been toying with the idea of moving back out west, Just not 100% sure where. If I did, I thought about buying a camper that was big enough that I could actually live in it for awhile. That way, I'm not tied down to any one place or dont have to worry about getting an apartment right away when I blow into a town.

I asked about the 5th wheel because they Seem like you get more living space for the length but I could be wrong.

For instance, I'm thinking set up right I would think my ranger could handle a pull trailer 22-24 foot in length But I dont know for sure. Now it seems to me that IF the truck would handle a 24 pull trailer wouldnt it handle a 24-25 foot 5th wheel even better because of the way they hook up.

I've heard that 5th wheel trailers pull better and are much easier to manuver then convential trailers. Also when talking trailer length in 5th wheels is the Overhang included in that length.

As far as popups go I've never been a big fan of popups. A older motorhome would be ideal I would think But the cost would be too much and maintance on one could get Real Expensive. I do agree about Good Brakes though.

I'm a total novice about towing things with the ranger so keep the info coming guys. Thanks....

LV

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
So when you cay 5 speed, that IS the manual right?

I was gonna say around 3,000lbs tops, like what has been mentioned. Especially for long distances.

I was actually thinking trying to stay in the 16 foot range or so. The wind is going to be the biggest obstacle. It'll be pushing on that nice big side of the trailer and that little Ranger might not be enough to keep her planted.

The 5th wheel would make things alot better.

The supercabs wheel base will also make things tow a little easier.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals