• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ranger problems. Need help!

bigjim240z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Getting the dreaded po302 code in my 2000 ranger 2.5, 5 speed. Changed the plugs, wires, both coil packs, injector, fuel filter, egr valve, egr pressure sensor, mass air meter and last but not least the whole cylinder head. Took it to ford dealer and they said it had a burned valve (thats why i swapped the head with a fresh rebuilt unit). Nothing has fixed this problem. I can start it and it will run rock soild till i touch the gas. It will rev up just fine but when it comes back down to idle it will miss and run rough like it wants to stall for 5-10 sec then smooth out again at idle. It will idle smooth all day till i touch the gas. I disconnected the cat just to see if maybe it was plugged up but it runs exactly the same. Im at my wits end! Ive spent alot of money trying to fix this and nothing has helped. Ive looked for vaccume leaks but havent found anything yet. My next step is the ecu....should i???? Need help. I need this truck running and plan to build it into a prerunner. Thanks for any help!!

bigjim240z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
20 veiws, no replys. You guys must be stumped too. Guess ill try to find an ecu to try. Hope i can just borrow one!!

Beleneagle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
What about the fuel pressure regulator?

David

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
what is the fuel pressure

bigjim240z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Honestly thats the one thing i did over look. Thats a cheap part to throw on this evening. I never checked the fuel pressure, think that could cause only number 2 cylinder to misfire? Ill try anything. Off to the parts store.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Honestly thats the one thing i did over look. Thats a cheap part to throw on this evening. I never checked the fuel pressure, think that could cause only number 2 cylinder to misfire? Ill try anything. Off to the parts store.
on your truck the fuel pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump in the tank. you want to get a fuel pressure tester. the stores loan them out for free. or you can buy one. harbor frieght has one for $20........... you want koeo about 65, koer about 65 and you want the pressure to drop no more than 8 psi in 5 minutes after you turn the engine off....

Beleneagle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Ranger 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I think I would run off to Harbor Freight and pick up one of their Spark tools that plug in-between the plug and wire and see for yourself if it firing like it should. They are dirt cheap too!

Friiy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Have you checked the wiring going to your # 2 fuel injector?..... Maybe you have a intermittent short or open on that injector wire harness or plug...(a break in the wire that that you can't see under the insulation) I think there is a in-line/ plug-in test light Harbor Freight makes that flashes as the injector fires..

-Friiy

bigjim240z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yup, checked that too, and changed the fuel pump this past weekend just for the hell of it. Didnt change anything. I wanna burn this pos.

bigjim240z

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well yesterday i decided to change the crank position sensor, didnt help. I took it to a guy i know who has worked for chevy for 30 years. A car is a car so i figured i would give him a crack at it. He found nothing and thinks it could be a high oil pressure issue??? He said high oil pressure could cause a valve lifter to pump up and stay open a little causing a miss. The oil pump is $215.00!!!!! Guess ill throw a gauge on it and see what kinda pressure its putting out before buying a new pump. Next step is the cam position sensor, what the hell its only 15 bucks.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You are putting a"how not to climic" on. Did you change the fuel pump without doing a pressure test first?

Have you changedthe oil to full synthetic? Are you still getting the p0302? Code? Have you changed/checked the IACV? You are the 1st person that has ever mentioned high OP. Sounds odd!

nathan0053

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
had the same problem with my 2000 2.5 for years and found out what the problem was. Next to your thermostat there is another sensor all i did was unplug it and the problem was solved still have a code but the engine never reves up anymore now i can just hop in and drive it like the day i bought it. hope this help good luck.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
had the same problem with my 2000 2.5 for years and found out what the problem was. Next to your thermostat there is another sensor all i did was unplug it and the problem was solved still have a code but the engine never reves up anymore now i can just hop in and drive it like the day i bought it. hope this help good luck.
that senosr that you unplugged is the ECT senosr .it ffeeds the pcm engine temp info. they are $15. I would repalce it..the truck will not run at it's most efficient without it.

nathan0053

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the info

00angerfonz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
i read in another article that the guys similar issue went away when he dumped seafoam into the oil somthing about a check valve causes confusion in the truck thus throwing a trouble light. my truck has the exact same issues that you explained and im gunna give it a try
best of luck my friend

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals