• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

overheating!

renneking

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
1999 ranger is overheating. changed thermostat since was cheap,flushed system because coolant looked rusty and did a pressure test which showed no leaks. fan also looks good. getting heat about every other start but no coolant on floor board so not sure about heater core. not even sure if bad heater core can cause overheating? after flushing system doing pressure test and changing oil truck still overheats and now idles very rough as if about to stall. i am clueless, just trying to avoid big mechanic bill so any help would be greatly appreciated.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
first thing that comes to mind is head gasket (do compression test) or water pump.

renneking

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
no one really seems into this one but i'll through it out there anyway. did pressure test, no external leaks. did the test for internal leaks i.e. blown headgasket, no leaks. did block test with the suction device put onto radiator that would turn dye yellow if leak, no leak. get heat in cab sporadically but when it works is very good heat. weep hole on water pump is not leaking but not sure if i can feel flow through upper radiator hose. should the flow be very strong and noticable. should i be able to squeeze upper hose easily with thermostat open. last week would start to overheat in about 2 miles. drove tonight for about 3 miles and could not get it hot. i guess what i'm asking is how do i know if it is for sure the water pump or possibly a plugged radiator or whatever else. just trying to save a buck so any help would be greatly appreciated.

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Pull the in and out hoses off the heater core connections on the firewall, then flush and back-flush the heater core. While the hoses are disconnected, connect them them to each other to bypass the heater core and drive around to see if you overheat. If no, then it's the heater core. If yes, problem elsewhere.

Connect the hoses back to the heater core and drive again. If no overheat, your flush / back-flush worked. If no issue is heater core or elsewhere.

Other option is you have air in the cooling system

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Sounds to me like you have an air pocket. Did you put the "pellet" in the thermostat at 12 o'clock? This helps bleed the system of air pockets.

Is your gauge sweeping back and forth, or just staying high?

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If your coolant was really rusty, you may have a clogged radiator. I've also seen cars with rusty cooing systems that had the fins completely rusted off of the water pump impeller. Just a thought.

renneking

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the replies. coolent was very rusty and havent flushed heater core yet. not sure about thermostat "pellet" being at 12oclock. just got off work going to go try some of this out.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If you dont know how old the water pump is get a new one. The only way to get all the rust out of the block is by pulling the water pump and t-stat. With high pressure water flush the block out good until you get no brown water also blast the heater core both ways about half pressure and do the same with the radiator until you get no brown water. Spend the money on a good water pump and t-stat. If you have the time fill the radiator and heater core 1/2 bleach 1/2 water and let sit overnite then rinse good with water. To fill the systen add a flushing tee in the heater hose that goes to the t-stat housing hold it level with the top of the radiator and pour in the coolant/water until it comes out the radiator that will fill the heater core and bypass and with the weep hole on the t-stat at the highest point you should only need to fill the overflow tank after the engine comes up to normal temp.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Dumb question, but you did put the thermostat in the right direction as well, right?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
with the weep hole on the t-stat at the highest point
Renneking, this is the same thing I was talking about. The part we are talking about is the little brass piece that jiggles around, almost to the edge most outer diameter of the t-stat. The OEM t-stats have a little BB/pellet in it.

renneking

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
so its been awhile, since i last posted i changed the water pump. old pump had impelers coroded off so i began to be confident this was the problem. put on new pump and truck ran very well, for about thirty minutes at which point all hell broke loose and discovered that head was in fact blown or cracked or something very bad. anyway replacing the engine is way outside of my ability. mechanic said he can get a used one bought and installed for $1700 with 100,000 miles on it and a 30 day warranty. any advice on moving forward or things to keep in mind would be greatly appreciated. would love to avoid car payment for about 3 more years so it doesnt have to last forever as i know it wont. is anouther 50,000 out of the question, are they able to test them at all to gauge the expected remaining life. anyway thanksfor all the help.

backroad101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
What is the stats on your current engine, such as mileage, condition, etc? For 1700 you should be able to have your current engine rebuilt.

Personally, $1700 is a lot for a motor with unknown problems and 100k miles. Does the $1700 include refreshing the motor before it is installed or is that just dropping it in as-is? See if you can find a 3.0L (that's what you have, right?) out of a geezer-owned Taurus or Sable that was prob cared for and has low miles, then shop around for labor to install.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
if its f-ed up then rip that head off and see see if there is any warpage or cracks, if there isn't then take it to a machine shop and change out that gasket, or have a shop do all this for less than 1700 im sure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals