• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Double R...

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The truck looks great, I love that side shot with the flatbed finished, really turned out nice.:icon_cheers:

I have a question:
So, for the upper control arms for project TNT, it looks like you used a 1 1/4" - 12 TPI bolt with a CE-9114B bung. Cut the head off and welded it to a piece of 2" .250 wall with a bushing at the other end.....and on RR you use a bung with rod end (doesnt look like you used the bolt at all)...to make both style of arms adjustable at one end.

Did you change the design for driveability/handling reasons. Or simply ease of install or what parts you had at the time?

Also why not do the passenger side upper arm at all?
Thanks I love this truck.
I used the bolts cause that is what I had. I realized by the time I bought the bolt and bushing it was only a couple bucks more to get a Johny Joint. All the upper does it keep the axle from flipping over so there is no need for another upper link unless you want to be anal. So since the Drive side is cast into the pumpkin naturally it is the stronger side to hook too. By making the upper adjustable you can adjust your caster and pinion angle.

Last edited:

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
TNT came over today to hang out with Double R...

Got the 14" shocks on all four corners today...

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Went by a friends house and flexed out on his 5th wheel...

Had people honking yelling and following me tonight in the Rock Ranger. LOL My boys were like why is everyone going crazy over the Ranger. I told them cause they like it.

Last edited:

Grunizzle

01/2013 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V-6
Transmission
Manual
Great work! Do you plan on trimming the fenders? Have you done anything for bump stops or limit straps?

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Great work! Do you plan on trimming the fenders? Have you done anything for bump stops or limit straps?
The shocks have dampeners built in at full extension and compression so they work as stop and limiting. That is all I need. I run the same setup in the Merc and it does great. No plans to trim I set the shocks at about the right height to keep the truck from hitting the fender. Working so far when I tested the flex. I can adjust the lower mount up if I need, to give me more bump stop.

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Drove the truck over 100 miles today so far. Picked up some nice 2 door Explorer Sport seats for 60 bucks for the pair at my fav junk yard. Truck runs great and the AC even blows ice cold. Think it still has R12 in it. LOL Hauled a 8.8 with the truck for a customer. Pretty impressed with it so far. Not a speed demon but it can keep up with traffic without too much trouble. NO BUMP STEER at 70 mph and NO DEATH WOBBLE with my tiny track bar. And I still have not put the sway bar back on the front or rear. Truck is very stable in corners and the ride is comfy for a truck. And truck has been turning a lot of heads one guy almost ran his lawn tractor into a light pole cause he was too busy staring. HAHA

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
take off the masking tape already:thefinger:

Ford78

December 2012 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Manual
Looks good!!

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got the new Explorer seats in the truck. And wired up the power seat on the Drivers side. Pretty easy since the truck already had power lumbar. Seats are nice and comfy.

bftank

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4l
Transmission
Automatic
about the seats.

were they a bolt in deal? what year were they out of? what yard did you get them from?

need seats for my '94 explorer, i can feel the bar in my lower back going over any bump. all the yards here have ruined interiors. gonna be in littleton next week might go looking for some decent seats.

love what you have done with your rigs might need to get together with you one of these days when i am down there for some wheelin'.

SAY789

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
The truck is looking fantastic man, keep it up!

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I got the LED flasher I ordered. First I plugged it and nothing. I was like WTF is wrong with this thing. I didn't come with any instructions. So after some searching I realized that the prong marked X had to be powered. If it was GM I would be in business but Ford is backwards. So I pulled the fuse box down and reversed the pins. Works like a charm nice to have turn signals. I also fixed some more issues the PO had neglected.

Wife and I took the truck over to Sears to pick up the new Microwave we special ordered for the new kitchen. While I was waiting for them to bring the Microwave out two guys asked me what the truck used to be. I laughed and said it is Ranger. Then we were leaving a guy and his son were walking away from there Audi and son a toddler was like look dad. His dad wouldn't look but it was funny watching him tug on his arm to get him to look. Then as we cruised through the mall as we left there were a lot smiles and rubber necks. Truck is pretty cool don't think I have ever owned something that got so many looks. LOL Taking the truck to Super Cruise tomorrow night should be interesting. :D

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
about the seats.

were they a bolt in deal? what year were they out of? what yard did you get them from?

need seats for my '94 explorer, i can feel the bar in my lower back going over any bump. all the yards here have ruined interiors. gonna be in littleton next week might go looking for some decent seats.

love what you have done with your rigs might need to get together with you one of these days when i am down there for some wheelin'.
My seats came from 2nd Gen. I believe it was 99. And yes they bolted right in only had to change the wiring. I picked them up at Metal Movers on Washington St. in Denver. They normally are not as picked over and rotate there stock every month. Yeah let me know when you are in town if you wanna swing by.
The truck is looking fantastic man, keep it up!
Thanks man! I am having a blast build this thing!

Stang5lgt

Four X Ford
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ordered my hydro assist and my beadlock kit is getting cut next week. Working on the sliders, finishing front bumper, and few other things today.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals