Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'RICO9'
July 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Cole' Dave'
July 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Styling & Electrical > Audio & Video

Audio & Video Stereos, video players, game systems and custom speaker/sub enclosures.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
jkufen

Vehicle Year: 1986, 1991
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Trail Rider, Street dragger
jkufen is on a distinguished road
Default Radio and/or speaker issues

In my 86 B2 I changed the two dash speakers to Schosche 4 inch speakers from Walmart. They are HD speakers and has a rating of 150 watts. Well I put them in and used the factory wiring to hook them up. The head unit is an old pioneer radio that I think is really junk but it plays the radio. The problem is the speakers play fine until I get to about volume 19. Once I hit volume 20 the speakers get a little scratchy then every time I turn it up louder it gets more and more scratchy. Anyone know what the issue might be? I know the speakers aren't great I just wanted something to play music but I don't know if the problem is my head unit or if possible the wires aren't rated to carry the amount of power the speakers need?? I'm at a lost I am no audio man I can hook them up but that's about it. If it is the wiring any tips on better wire to use? Thanks everyone!
jkufen is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 05-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
509lifted

Vehicle Year: 1984,1992
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: bronco 2, eb explorer
I use this vehicle for: stock right now besides sound system and air horn and push bumper
509lifted is a jewel in the rough509lifted is a jewel in the rough509lifted is a jewel in the rough509lifted is a jewel in the rough

what u need to do is get better wire and u cant run alot of base to them trust me i have them so take it put a filter in line so it dont get the base to it
509lifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
4.0B2
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: Taking my Money
4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute

never trust audio wiring on 20+ year old vehicles... run new wires would be a great start. a lot of the fords of that era had a factory "amp"... look around in the audio section on here, you'll find where similar stuff has been talked about before. the common answer is to start w/ new wire, which is never a bad idea on a vehicle this old and with like 30 gauge wiring! lol
4.0B2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
jkufen

so 30 gauge wire is what i need. ok ill try that and see what I can come up with
Old 05-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
4.0B2
Premium Member

4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkufen View Post
so 30 gauge wire is what i need. ok ill try that and see what I can come up with

No no no. It was sarcasm about the tiny wires that ford used... I think I have 14 gauge in mine. I don't remember tho. Just get some decent speaker wire and rewire it
Old 05-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
jkufen

yeah i know you were kidding I was just about to reply that I checked everywhere and cant find any 30 gauge wire
Old 05-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #7
4.0B2
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkufen View Post
yeah i know you were kidding I was just about to reply that I checked everywhere and cant find any 30 gauge wire
does anywhere even sale 30 gauge speaker wire???