Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Rowdy Fitzgerald'
August 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Flit-e' Dave'
August 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Special Interest Vehicle Use > Towing

Towing For questions about towing or to show off your tow rig.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
alex

Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Sport 4X4
alex is on a distinguished road
Default Can't find the answer anywhere; 2006 payload capacity.

Here's the deal, I'm going to be driving from Vancouver to Albuquerque with two bikes in the back (900Lbs) plus gear and two on board for a total of about 1400 pounds.

Question #1; What's the maximum payload for a;

2006 Ranger, 4X4 sport, 4.0L with the 4:10 diff

Question # 2: If I exceed or am close to exceeding the payload capacity. I plan to install an add-a-leaf and torque up the torsion bars. Is there any other cheap solution to slightly increasing the PL capacity (no more than 500$). I am mechanically inclined but I don't have access to specialized tools such as impact.

Note that I would also use the lift during hunting season to get a little more clearance in off road situations...

Thanks for your help!
alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 03-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
kcm1582

Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: fun
kcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to kcm1582

1260 pounds is your maximum payload.

No there is no way to legally increase your payload. Suspension mods may make carrying max loads easier but that doesn't mean you can pile more in the bed. For that much stuff your best bet is to trailer it, because you can tow 5800 pounds and still be road legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Pony View Post
Some times it is fun to be surrounded by idiots, It makes you seem smarter than you are, Other times it is just plain annoying!
kcm1582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Will
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: a chicken house
Will has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud of

I've never seen a law that said it was illegal to exceed the GVWR, only that it was illegal to exceed the registered weight. If something happened on the road you could certainly be charged with reckless endangerment, I suppose. A civil action against you by someone that was hurt by your failing Ranger is a bigger possibility.

That said, what you propose to do isn't going to increase the load rating of your truck. Your truck has an axle in the rear rated at 2,750#. The springs don't really matter. It's the bearings and shafts. It's one thing to overload it going across town--it's an entirely different thing to drive 1,500miles each way on it. It would probably be fine, but it's your risk. An Explorer axle will give you that extra 500# capacity.

The front end has nothing to do with it. A truck is designed to carry the load weight centered over the rear. You aren't going to overload the front. Cranking those torsions can make them more prone to breakage.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
kcm1582

Vehicle Year: 2005
I use this vehicle for: fun
kcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud ofkcm1582 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to kcm1582

I was always under the impression that if a cop sees you overloaded they can give you a ticket for unsafe loading of a vehicle, sounds illegal to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Pony View Post
Some times it is fun to be surrounded by idiots, It makes you seem smarter than you are, Other times it is just plain annoying!
kcm1582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #5
Tractorman

Vehicle Year: 2002
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver/truck puller!
Tractorman is on a distinguished road

Have to load it up and take it across a scale to see how much and where the weight is being carried. The GVWR can't easily be modified, and getting higher plate registration doesn't mean you're legal, as going over what it is stock rated for can result in liability problems during an accident.

As long as you're under the GVWR, and each separate axle rating (They don't always add up, even though it would seem logical that they together should equal your GVWR), you're legal.
Tractorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Will
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: a chicken house
Will has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud of

In the US, the manufacturer ratings are not enforced to my knowledge. Commercial trucks are scaled only to protect the highway, not to make sure an axle doesn't exceed the manufacturers rating. If you have a reference which supports your position that a government agency will enforce your manufacturer's ratings, I would appreciate seeing it.

Definitely civil law is what you need to protect against and that's where the ratings come in.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Trucking-...009/2/gcwr.htm
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
kimcrwbr1

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD tow boat
kimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to all

Yanking a trailer around would be better all around make sure the trailer wheels and bearings are tight and greased good. Leave yourself plenty of room for stopping take it easy and enjoy the scenery. No sence in beating the truck up if you can avoid it. A good receiver hitch would be cheaper than a new axle.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:05 AM   #8
kimcrwbr1

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD tow boat
kimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to allkimcrwbr1 is a name known to all

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trailer-Hitc...item2317b18779 I prefer reeses hitches.