Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Old 08-08-2007, 01:14 AM   #1
derekj

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Ranger 4wd
Vehicle Model: XLT
I use this vehicle for: Trail Blazer!
derekj is on a distinguished road
Smile Driveshaft replacement

What are my options for replacing my cv style rear drive shaft with something stronger? I have a 2" lift in the back.

Derek

2001 BMW 325xi Touring
derekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 08-08-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
MAKG
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Explorer
MAKG will become famous soon enough

II believe your only option is an aftermarket driveshaft. Virtually all of them have U-joints.

The only year Bronco IIs that had U-joint driveshafts was 1984. And I believe they are ALL too short for a 1988 model. If you can find one with an A4LD, it will be the same length, but I don't think those existed before 1985. All Ranger rear driveshafts from any year are too long for your application.

Honestly, the thing that kills CV shafts with a lift in the back of a Bronco II is bottoming the driveshaft, either in extension or compression. Adjusting the pinion angle (which is almost always necessary on a Bronco II due to the short wheelbase) changes the distance between the rear end and transfer case. If you have to force the driveshaft in, its length is wrong. If it's too short, you can add a spacer.

1990 VW Jetta GL, 1.8L 8V gasoline engine, manual transmission, painted in oxidized red paint and ponderosa pine sap, unknown mileage.

1991 Exploder, 4.0L, M5OD-R1 manual transmission, electronic BW1354 transfer case, 3.54 gears, 31 inch tires, icky two-tone blue paint with little clear coat, 230K miles.

1972 Chevy C-10, 250 I-6, SM465 (2WD) four-on-the-floor, 3.73 gears in a GM 12-bolt, puke green with a white cab. The "4 wheeled trash can," with x70K miles. x is probably 2.

Last edited by MAKG; 08-08-2007 at 12:24 PM.
MAKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #3
bdeuce

bdeuce is on a distinguished road

you can do what i did and have one made. this is not the affordable route, but i have a brand new oversized double cardan driveshaft with three year warranty, and 6" slip yoke (lift potential;)). this was aboot $600 canadian. however, you can get the same style (double cardan) shaft from the front shaft of a gen1 91-94 exploder. it will have to be shortened and balanced, but i was quoted $150 to cut and balance. any competant machine shop should be able to handle this.

Napa in the states also carries new ones, a little cheaper, but hella easy to install - they're made for the b2 as replacemants.

Mine that i had made - look at the difference in the old cv shaft thickness, compared to the 3 inch tube and beefy joints!!

this one is availiable from NAPA (u.s.a. only, part numbers disappear at the border?!?!). NAPA NPR # 12833 thru 87

this is also availiable from NAPA NPR # 12823 88 and later

with any driveline swap, you want measurements, man. my springs are sagging something fierce (until this weekend), so i ordered mine with only 3/4 inch slip yoke room. in theory, if i bottom out the bumpstop, i have 1/4 inch of slip room to go before i need a new t-case. i wouldn't advise doing this everytime, but like i said, springs sagging, lifting planned.

hope this helps.

nate

Last edited by bdeuce; 08-08-2007 at 12:00 PM. Reason: forgot info
bdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
Natedog

Vehicle Year: 87
Vehicle Make: Ranger
Vehicle Model: SuperCab
I use this vehicle for: DD & trail truck
Natedog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeuce View Post
you can do what i did and have one made. this is not the affordable route, but i have a brand new oversized double cardan driveshaft with three year warranty, and 6" slip yoke (lift potential;)). this was aboot $600 canadian. however, you can get the same style (double cardan) shaft from the front shaft of a gen1 91-94 exploder. it will have to be shortened and balanced, but i was quoted $150 to cut and balance. any competant machine shop should be able to handle this.

Napa in the states also carries new ones, a little cheaper, but hella easy to install - they're made for the b2 as replacemants...
Nice lookin driveshaft, the correct way to do it!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #5
baddis
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1997 2000
Vehicle Make: Ford Ford
Vehicle Model: Explorer Ranger
I use this vehicle for: dd and having fun
baddis will become famous soon enoughbaddis will become famous soon enough

to have a machine shop shorten and balance a shaft here is $25 now where you get into the cost here is if you need a longer one

IF IT ISN'T BROKE I HAVEN'T TRIED
baddis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:02 PM   #6
bdeuce

spensive here - only one machine shop that can do it. someone told them that like a fool, and now they charge ridiculous prices to work on drivelines.

you just can't beat a made to fit part.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
bdeuce

now what's cuter than a 24 pound kitten and a driveline?