Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Rowdy Fitzgerald'
August 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Flit-e' Dave'
August 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Styling & Electrical > Audio & Video

Audio & Video Stereos, video players, game systems and custom speaker/sub enclosures.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
backroad101

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT SuperCab
I use this vehicle for: 2nd vehicle / truck stuff.
backroad101 will become famous soon enough
Default Cooler boombox build

Ok, I need suggestions on a cheap 4 channel amp where ch 1 and 2 will power some 5X7s and ch 3/4 can be bridged to power one 8in sub.

I am building something similar to one of these and am looking for an inexpensive amp. I've seen Boos and SoundStorm on Amazon but dont know anything about them.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/C...Picture122.jpg

My other option would to use a head unit (I already have) to power the 5X7s and use a 2ch amp I already have to power the sub.

Thoughts?

Last edited by backroad101; 05-25-2012 at 10:36 AM.
backroad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 05-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Thed
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Being awesome... GOSH!
Thed has a spectacular aura aboutThed has a spectacular aura aboutThed has a spectacular aura about

Depends what you define cheap as... $100?

BUILD THREAD
PROJECT AMERICAN CRUISER
Thed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
backroad101

under $100, new / used / refurbished. Keeping an eye on ebay but want to see if anyone has suggestions

I have the cooler, found 5X7s, an 8in sub and amp kit for $80 total. So I just need (besides misc materials) an amp, battery and an on/off switch (I think that's all I need, will see when I dive into it)
Old 05-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
backroad101

So if I run a head unit (to power the 2 6X9s) and a 2ch amp (which I already have) to power the 8in sub, will that draw a considerable more amount of juice from the battery as opposed to running just a 4ch amp (without a head unit) and just hook an ipod to the amp input. Either way I need to buy either a head unit or a 4ch amp, just trying to use as much as what i already have an buy a little as possible

http://www.gtcharlie.com/2007/2007_0...6-5688_IMG.JPG
Old 05-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
shane96ranger

Vehicle Year: 1997 / 1989
Vehicle Model: F150 XLT / Mustang GT
I use this vehicle for: Everything / The war on imports
shane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond repute

I bought an amp from a place on Ebay called Ike Sound. Awesome place to deal with. They have an Ebay store, and their own webpage. They sell new and refurbished amps for really great prices.

www.ikesound.com/4_channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammert609@yahoo.com View Post
I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit
shane96ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:02 AM   #6
wr250rdr

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger. 2.3
wr250rdr will become famous soon enough

as possible as it is to do it that way.. i wouldnt recomend that at all.
for a few reasons...
If you run a 4 channel with 3/4 bridged and just run the imput the sub will be very shallow and you will probably underdrive your sub and melt a voice coil.
A head unit, even a cheepie, will give you alot of tunability and will really provide you with a better sound.
the power draw from a head unit isnt that major along with an amp.
You can pick up used head units cheep on craigslist. i might even have a newer pioneer unit laying around that i would be willing to send you if you pay shipping on it that would have ipod capability if you order a cable from pioneer. and it will power speakers with no problem.
Also check your local best buy, tis the season for new models and the old ones, at least down here, are dirt cheep same with the floor models.

if you want to put together a complete package a company out here called Sonicelectronix.com has just about the cheepest prices i have ever seen and they do free shipping on all orders.

in my truck i just upgraded to an alpine head unit with Kenwood and have had kenwood door speakes, a cheepie rock foss 2 channel amp and a kicker 10 and it sounds great and it was all for under 400 because i bought at the right time.
wr250rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
backroad101

The headunit route is the route I am leaning toward. Been watching Craigslist. That and a battery are the only things i still have to get.

Cooler - Already had, 60qt Rubbermaid with wheels http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/rubb...-cooler--60-qt.

Speakers - 2 Pioneer 6X9s I already had that I was going to put in the truck Got some 5X7 for truck so using the 6X9s for this project. Plus the 6x9s have grills, the 5X7 do not

Sub - JBL 8in from Amazon. Being shipped

Amp Kit

Misc materials

Head unit and Amp - pending

So far I am $120 into it (if you figure in the cost of the 5X7s) and still need a battery and headunit/amp. The Pioneer 6X9s are "300w" max. Will a headunit properly run those and sound good or should I get a 4ch amp to run all 3 speakers?
Old 05-20-2012, 02:08 AM   #8
509lifted

Vehicle Year: 1984,1992
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: bronco 2, eb explorer
I use this vehicle for: stock right now besides sound system and air horn and push bumper
509lifted is a jewel in the rough509lifted is a jewel in the rough509lifted is a jewel in the rough509lifted is a jewel in the rough

ur talking 300 max so ur lookin anywhere from 50 to 75 rms so yes a head unit will push them fine if u have a decent deck and it is set up right
509lifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #9
RangerSVT
Oct 09 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1996 2002
Vehicle Model: SAS Ranger SC 4x4 V8 Sport Trac
I use this vehicle for: Anger Management
RangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to beholdRangerSVT is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to RangerSVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr250rdr View Post
....you will probably underdrive your sub and melt a voice coil.....
I hate to tell you, but there is no reasonable way you can melt a voice coil by "under powering"...Don't know how you came across this info, but they are blowing smoke up your a$$ and don't know $h!t...
As far as the op's question, amps like Sony, mtx, and kicker are decent amps in a decent price range. Walmart has a decent 4 channel Sony that's 100 rms watts x 4 channels. I would run the front channels to the highs and mods (parellel the left two speakers on the left channel, the right two on the right channel) then bridge the rear channel to the sub. Running this way the amp will be running at a 2 ohm stereo load on all four channels (providing the sub is single voice coil and not dual). The amp might run a little warm, but will not run hot (unless you play at high levels for a consistent length of time), so amp placement where airflow can reach is necessary. Under a seat is fine, in the corner behind the folding jumpseat is not...

SVT

Member of the Turkey Bay Crew

SVT Build Thread (96 V8 Ranger)

ST Build Thread (02 V8 Sport Trac)

V8 swap Club/Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
I'm almost done putting it in
RangerSVT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
backroad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSVT View Post
I hate to tell you, but there is no reasonable way you can melt a voice coil by "under powering"...Don't know how you came across this info, but they are blowing smoke up your a$$ and don't know $h!t...
As far as the op's question, amps like Sony, mtx, and kicker are decent amps in a decent price range. Walmart has a decent 4 channel Sony that's 100 rms watts x 4 channels. I would run the front channels to the highs and mods (parellel the left two speakers on the left channel, the right two on the right channel) then bridge the rear channel to the sub. Running this way the amp will be running at a 2 ohm stereo load on all four channels (providing the sub is single voice coil and not dual). The amp might run a little warm, but will not run hot (unless you play at high levels for a consistent length of time), so amp placement where airflow can reach is necessary. Under a seat is fine, in the corner behind the folding jumpseat is not...

SVT

This is going in a cooler, not the truck

http://www.gtcharlie.com/2007/2007_0...6-5688_IMG.JPG

Same cooler, layout will be different