Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Kona'
June 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Dazzlin' Dave'
June 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Styling & Electrical > Lighting/Illumination

Lighting/Illumination This forum is for headlamps, auxillary lighting, interior lighting, and LED conversions.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
greaseyfingers

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
greaseyfingers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane96ranger View Post
Yes mine made both sides flash in my Explorer as well. It is extremely easy to see if a ground is a fix. You could have checked it in the same time it took to type why you think it's not a ground issue.

Three things off the top if my head to check. Ground, the bulb sockets, and then the switch.

Sent while I should be doing something else
When I used a continuity test light on the left and right tail light turn signal's sockets for connecting it to the turn signal's socket inside ground, with the bulb removed, and placed the conintuity test light's probe on the turn signal's inside socket's 12 volt power contact connection for the bulb..

It would light up the continuity test light on both the left and right side, while I tested the turn signal sockets for getting a ground and power..

Assuming I did this correctly and this is a valid test procedure..

The only other alternative would be a defective turn signal switch, which would be causing this problem, as explained, wouldn't it?
greaseyfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 07-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
shane96ranger
\----===FoMoCo===----/

Vehicle Year: 1997 / 1989
Vehicle Model: F150 XLT / Mustang GT
I use this vehicle for: Everything / The war on imports
shane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaseyfingers View Post
When I used a continuity test light on the left and right tail light turn signal's sockets for connecting it to the turn signal's socket inside ground, with the bulb removed, and placed the conintuity test light's probe on the turn signal's inside socket's 12 volt power contact connection for the bulb..

It would light up the continuity test light on both the left and right side, while I tested the turn signal sockets for getting a ground and power..

Assuming I did this correctly and this is a valid test procedure..

The only other alternative would be a defective turn signal switch, which would be causing this problem, as explained, wouldn't it?
If you took the turn signal apart, it should have been fairly easy to see if that was the problem - at least it was from my experience cleaning out a switch (PO dumped a coke or something on the steering column). My experience is taking the switch apart in my F150. I would think yours should be very similar. Have you tried playing with or replacing the flasher relay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammert609@yahoo.com View Post
I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit
shane96ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
greaseyfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane96ranger View Post
If you took the turn signal apart, it should have been fairly easy to see if that was the problem - at least it was from my experience cleaning out a switch (PO dumped a coke or something on the steering column). My experience is taking the switch apart in my F150. I would think yours should be very similar. Have you tried playing with or replacing the flasher relay?
When I took the turn signal switch apart and cleaned out the oxidation inside..

I thought that might solve my problem, but it didn't..

I didn't see anything, noticably wrong with the turn signal switch on the inside..

However, the turn signal lever seems kind of sloppy from wear, that goes into the turn signal switch..

Maybe, the sloppy turn signal lever could be causing a problem inside the turn signal switch, itself, if it's not properly aligning up all the different components inside the turn signal switch, as needed, for performing it's different functions..
Old 07-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #14
Charles (in GA)

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Ranger Short Bed Std Cab
I use this vehicle for: hauling and towing my utility trailer
Charles (in GA) is on a distinguished road

Filament in one of the bulbs has broken and fallen onto the other filament. This makes the blinking cross over to the other side via the parking light circuit.

Either replace the front turn signal/parking light bulbs and the rear turn/brake/parking bulbs or remove and inspect them all till you find the bad one.

Bad ground do cause weird things to happen, verify all grounds.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #15
greaseyfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles (in GA) View Post
Filament in one of the bulbs has broken and fallen onto the other filament. This makes the blinking cross over to the other side via the parking light circuit.

Either replace the front turn signal/parking light bulbs and the rear turn/brake/parking bulbs or remove and inspect them all till you find the bad one.

Charles
Nothing I've done, so far, has stopped both rear turn signals from flashing when I use the right turn signal..

I tried replacing the front and rear bulbs..

I tried a different turn signal flasher..

I tried a different emergency signal flasher..

I took the turn signal switch apart and cleaned it..

I tried my other 89 Ranger's turn signal switch..

I've cleaned all the ground connections that I could find..

Every electrical connector that's under the the hood I've taken apart cleaned and sprayed with WD/40..

I took the brake light switch off and sprayed it with WD/40..

I don't know what's causing both rear turn signals to flash when I use the right blinker, as the left side works fine without any problems..

Another thing I noticed is that if I put on the right side blinker, without the key in the ignition, and press the brake pedal..

The right front, driver's side, turn signal light will come on and the turn signal flasher will start clicking, but the right front turn signal won't flash, while the brake pedal is depressed and the brake lights are on..

Another thing I also noticed is if I put on the emergency flashers they will work fine, until I depress the brake pedal..

Then the emergecncy flasher lights will stay on and stop flashing, as long as the brake pedal is depressed..

I've never had a problem like this, before..

If anyone else has had a problem like this, before, what did you find was causing it..

Last edited by greaseyfingers; 07-12-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #16
Explorin94

Vehicle Year: 1988
I use this vehicle for: Bouncing off trees on the trail
Explorin94 is just really niceExplorin94 is just really niceExplorin94 is just really niceExplorin94 is just really niceExplorin94 is just really nice

Do you have a trailer wiring "T" in line with the tail lights connections? If so remove it, reconnect the factory plug back together and see what happens.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #17
greaseyfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorin94 View Post
Do you have a trailer wiring "T" in line with the tail lights connections? If so remove it, reconnect the factory plug back together and see what happens.
The 90 Ranger doesn't have a trailer wiring kit attached to the wiring harness..

Do you have any other ideas that could be causing this problem to occur..
Old 07-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #18
Charles (in GA)

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Ranger Short Bed Std Cab
I use this vehicle for: hauling and towing my utility trailer
Charles (in GA) is on a distinguished road

Well, not much left. You've changed everything. Sounds like the wiring harness is pinched somewhere. Guy at work years ago bought a new Ranger, early or mid '90's if I recall. He had strange problems with the wipers working occasionally when they were not turned on, several other things. Dealers worked on it many times. Ford finally hauled it back to the factory to the rework shop, where they pulled the entire dash and found a major wiring harness pinched by a sharp edged piece of metal. Installed a new harness and truck was OK after that.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #19
greaseyfingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles (in GA) View Post

Charles
Why do both rear turn signals blink when the right side turn signal switch is turned on?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

On my 90 ford ranger, both rear turn signals will blink when the right side turn signal switch is turned on, while the right front turn signal blinker blinks, ok, as it should..

The left front and left rear turn signal blinkers work fine when the left side turn signal switch is turned on?

I don't know what's causing both rear turn signals to flash when I use the right turn signal switch blinker, as the left side works fine without any problems..

Another thing I noticed is that if I put on the right side turn signal switch blinker, without the key in the ignition, and press the brake pedal..

The right front, driver's side, turn signal light will light up and the turn signal flasher will start clicking, but the right front turn signal doesn't flash, while the brake pedal is being depressed and the rear brake lights will stay on..

While the turn signal flasher is clicking, as explained.. When I turn the heater blower motor's switch on, without the key in the on position.. Each time the turn signal flasher clicks, the heater blower motor will start up on each click the flasher makes and then stop between each click..

Another thing I also noticed is if I put on the emergency flashers they will work fine, until I depress the brake pedal..

Then the emergecncy flasher lights will stay on and stop flashing, as long as the brake pedal is depressed..

What is the solution to this problem, when the right side turn signal switch blinker is turned on and both rear blinkers will start blinking?

Do you think the turn signal switch is faulty and is somehow crossing power over to the rear left side blinker, when the right side blinker is turned on?

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem, before, and know what needs to be done to fix it?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Nothing I've done, so far, has stopped both rear turn signals from flashing when I use the right turn signal..

I tried replacing all the front and rear turn signal bulbs..

I tried a different turn signal flasher..

I tried a different emergency signal flasher..

I took the turn signal switch apart and cleaned it..

I tried using my other 89 Ranger's good working turn signal switch..

I've cleaned all the ground connections that I could find..

Every electrical connector that's under the the hood I've taken apart and cleaned and sprayed with WD/40..

I took the brake light switch off, and sprayed it with WD/40..

I don't know what's causing both rear turn signals to flash when I use the right blinker, as the left side works fine without any problems..

Another thing I noticed is that if I put on the right side turn signal switch blinker, without the key in the ignition, and press the brake pedal..

The right front, driver's side, turn signal light will come on and the turn signal flasher will start clicking, but the right front turn signal won't flash, while the brake pedal is depressed and the brake lights are on..

If anyone else has had a problem like this, before, what did you find was causing it..

I still haven't been able to figure this out, yet..

If anyone reading this is smart enough to be able to figure this problem out, and know what has to be done to fix it..

I'd like to find out the solution, so I can get this very frustrating problem fixed..

Last edited by greaseyfingers; 09-03-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #20
martin

Vehicle Year: 1984 1991
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: b2 explorer
martin is just really nicemartin is just really nicemartin is just really nicemartin is just really nice

I don't see how this could be anything else but the switch. Disconnect the switch and then put 12v to the wire at the connector that feeds the left rear brake light, see what happens. Then remove 12v from left wire and connect 12v to wire that feeds right rear brake light, see what happens.

As a side note, if the 4 ways are on and you push the brake pedal it's normal for them to stop flashing (unless you have the amber rear turns).
martin is online now   Reply With Quote