• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

can you swap an entire drivetrain????

jordandkaspar

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so i know this has more then likely asked before but as new as i am to this forum i could not find it or anyplace online
what i'm trying to find is if it is possible to swap an entire drivetrain from an f-150 into the same year ranger
granted all comp. are also swaped (engine,trans,computers,rear-end)
also expected components are used such as radiator, mounts/brackets, oil filter relocation, ect.
also i know being a shorter vehicle it would need a different/custom driveshaft
but in my mind it is pretty much plug and play or am i seeing this all wrong
and keeping in mind both are efi and 2wd

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Depends on the year of the trucks. Some problems I can think of are:
  • Some 150 transmissions are huge
  • Rear end is way too wide.
  • Intake manifold likely won't fit under hood.
  • It won't be completely plug and play.

A V8 Explorer would be a much better donor choice.

I'm sure someone will chime in with more before the day's out.

jordandkaspar

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
wouldn't the stock 4R70W fit
would a bronco's be better?
why won't it fit whats the difference?

jordandkaspar

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i'm only asking because a V8 exploder is hard to find where i am compared to a F-150/Bronco with a 5.0

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think Josh answered your questions that you have. Use the search button as there are plenty of useful tips from many others who have done the swap that you want to do.

jordandkaspar

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok so after looking through more threads i keep coming back to the question of why not use an f-150 motor and trans? i see people either use the motor or trans seperate. if your looking to do a 2wd with an auto trans can you just get a donor f-150?or is the explorer 4R70W smaller?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Simple answer is that an F-150 drivetrain is not a plug and play swap, if that's what you want forget it. It can be the basis of a swap but it will take a lot of additional work, time, and money to get it in the truck.

We are not going to do the work for you (unless you pay us), but we will gladly help you if you show a little more effort. Before we can even do that you need to do a few things for us. Research those swaps using the F-150 motors and F-150 transmissions, find out what they did and what worked for them. Then ask more detailed (preferibly here), and more specific questions if you still have any. Just a hint at heart a 5.0L is a 5.0L they are not vehicle specific. That changes once exhaust manifolds, intake manifold, oil pan, and accessories are added.

Also give us a few more details about the trucks in question here.

To answer you last few posts:

4R70W will fit in a Ranger, but not all (if any?) F-150s came with this. I also do not know if there was any difference in the size of the bellhousing between an Explorer 4R70W and an F-150 4R70W. FWIW gave us no details about the donor truck so how was I/were we supposed to know what transmission it might have.

The Bronco uses the same drivetrains as the F-150.

Don't look at it as a F-150 motor and trans. Look at it as a 5.0L and ______ trans. There are differences between the 5.0Ls (and transmissions) based on what they were used in, you need to figure out what you have and need. The information is all out there, you just need to research it a little. Like I said research, then come back with more specific questions.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

jordandkaspar

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
from what i understand is that was ford's usual trans in the later part ofthe 90's for their small block motors so to keep it an auto 2wd would it make more sence to use a donor with that same set up say a 95 ranger and a 95 f150 with a 5.0 and 4R70W
i apologize if you think i'm trying to have you do the work for me thats not my intention
and the only reason i want to know how an f150 works is because i got one for free due to it sitting and the frame rotting out and breaking and the body being shot but the motor only has 85,xxx miles on it and still runs strong

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
You can use the F150 parts. Keep your Ranger rearend and possibly the driveshaft.

I don't know about the truck intake, there's a ton of room in the Ranger engine bay.
Wiring will be the same as any other swap, you'll want a wiring guide (EVTM) for each vehicle, it's easier than it sounds.

What year/style of Ranger? (front suspension type, depending on year...)
You will not need to touch any wiring outside of the engine bay, other than repinning the tach if equipped.

jordandkaspar

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
as far as the intake i'm planning on doing a 2-3" body lift so i'm thinking it would clear with that
since i have a donor 1995 f150 i was thinking it would be best to find a 1995 ranger

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
as far as the intake i'm planning on doing a 2-3" body lift so i'm thinking it would clear with that
since i have a donor 1995 f150 i was thinking it would be best to find a 1995 ranger
That doesn't mean that they are the same wiring wise. So expect either transferring the F150 harness or splicing what the ranger already has. As Josh said that intake won't work they are entirely too tall to fit under the hood of the ranger EVEN WITH THE BODY LIFT. The F150 302 is no different from a car 302....a 302 is a 302 unless you have miraculously found a 1969 Chevrolet 302 out of a Z28. You have not done the research for what you have asked. It is here you just need to find it and then start your own build thread.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i apologize if you think i'm trying to have you do the work for me thats not my intention
Wasn't meaning to say that you were, but to many forum readers the posts you have made so far would come across as such. No apology necessary, this is a learning process in more ways than one.

and the only reason i want to know how an f150 works is because i got one for free
If you had given us this information in the beginning things would have been a lot easier. Given your position almost any 2wd Ranger up to 95 would be basically the exact same swap, with the biggest difference being the wiring.

I'll go back to the intake one more time.

This is a truck intake like found on the F-150:

This is an explorer intake (swapped into a car):

Now compare the distributor vs intake height between that pic and this one:

Does that give you an idea of how much taller the Truck intake is? The Explorer intake is about the same height as what most people use. It is possible to swap to the car/explorer style intake, throttle body, and MAF sensor while retaining your F-150 system, but that'll require more research on you part. The info is out there as I was researching to do it at one time (also had access to a free F-150 in pieces) but found a complete Explorer instead.

Your F-150 is OBD-I so I would recommend an 83-95 Ranger to have the same OBD-I system. In OBD-I the engine and chassis controls are a lot more separated than they are in OBD-II. It's one less thing you have to worry about.

Since you want to retain the 4R70W you have to continue using the EEC-V EFI system, or spend a few hundred (400 IIRC) bucks on a stand-alone transmission controller. The EFI system can be converted to a stand alone system, and that would be the easiest way to do the wiring aspect. Get the EVTMs for both trucks. On paper, separate out the F-150 wiring so that you have nothing left but an EFI system and necessary components. Once you are at that point you just need to find the right places to splice into the Ranger's wiring. Off the top of my head I know you will need to splice into the Ranger harness for power, ground, ignition, and fuel pump power. There's a lot of information in the forums and tech library and on the internet in general that will hep you with figuring out your wiring, it's up to you to do the work.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your F-150 is OBD-I so I would recommend an 83-95 Ranger to have the same OBD-I system. In OBD-I the engine and chassis controls are a lot more separated than they are in OBD-II. It's one less thing you have to worry about.
I wouldn't go any newer than '94, I don't know how the older tech 5.0 would play with the newer electronic dash in the 95+ Ranger. I don't know how well it would work in some of the older Rangers (carburation was an option up until '88 with some engines)

A 302 is not a 302. Different intakes, pistons, camshafts, lifter/cam type, oil pan/pickups, cylinder heads and FEADs are all fairly important differences that complicates mixing and matching stuff. A '96 Explorer 5.0 is very different in its swapping and power potential than a '96 F-150 5.0.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
All you need is a sawzall a big hammer and a welder yea you can do anything you want.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals