• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Main seal / Lower oil pan drama...

geofri

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I am stuck bouncing between two mechanics right now and wishing I just took a week off work, bought more tools and figured out how to do it myself..

Anyway, If I can get a quick answer it may help me sleep tonight. Tomorrow morning a mechanic is re-replacing this rear main seal.

Short version and what prompted the thread - How poor was this installation?

I am violently opposed to how this looks. Do you think it would leak?

Looks fairly dry on the top side where this roll/kink is but I don't know that mechanic didn't wipe it dry before I got there and it had sat all afternoon and maybe oil drained down below.

Long/full story and more photos to follow..

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's rolled and dry, it is going to leak.

Some of the teflon coated seals, like Fel-Pro's, tell you to install them dry, which is fine if that's how the seal maker says to do it, but that is definitely rolled. Rolling can pop the spring off, which will make it leak

You kind of have to turn them as you put them on, if they don't have an install sleeve. Almost like starting a nut. That keeps the lip from rolling under.

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
What adsm said , that thing is going to leak like a sob .

geofri

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It's rolled and dry, it is going to leak.

Some of the teflon coated seals, like Fel-Pro's, tell you to install them dry, which is fine if that's how the seal maker says to do it, but that is definitely rolled. Rolling can pop the spring off, which will make it leak

You kind of have to turn them as you put them on, if they don't have an install sleeve. Almost like starting a nut. That keeps the lip from rolling under.
Thanks for the fast response! Makes me a bit sick to my stomach, as I am believing the quality of his work and basic knowledge may just be lacking and I think this project is beyond his skill set.

Untrimmed cable ties, a rag forgotten in my engine bay, sloppy caulking skills, then seeing the flipped over lip on the seal really "triggered" me..

I brought my truck to "Mr. Hernandez" who a neighbor had recommended after my mechanic " Mr. Nguyen" wanted $2300 for the transmission rebuild. Mr. Hernandez did it for $1800. ( yes, again proven, you get what you pay for).

He removed and then reinstalled my rebuilt transmission, while it was out, he noted oil leaking and suggested a new rear main.
I was not happy it needed replaced at less than a year old*, but now was the time to do it even if for insurance only i figured. Paid him $70 for that extra work.

*Mr. Nguyen had replaced Rear Main Seal, Lower Oilpan Gasket, and Valve Cover Gasket a year ago, and 6 months ago redid the valve cover gasket due to lingering leak issues.. they had slowed to the point I just ignored it and kept oil topped off, but not bad enough to take back to mechanic.

Mr. Hernandez saw the RMS was orange, and claimed Mr. Nguyen must have lied about changing it since it was still factory. ( does not feel like an old seal, quite pliable).

He said it also looked like they didn't change the "u-gasket" in the lower oil pan, so he lathered on some sloppy RTV for extra measure since there was oil showing there. He said he probably only changed the top peice, and not the part where he "Gooped" ( is it not one single peice of gasket??!! besides, how the heck could you get in to change part, and not all if it was 2 peices??)

New RMS installed and goop slapped on the outside of the (supposed) leaking area.

Last edited:

geofri

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
These pics aren't opening. Is it just me?
Darn it.. photobucket is being wonky. I'm trying to figure it out.. Looks like they now have limited or only paid memebrship 3rd party hosting.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Darn it.. photobucket is being wonky. I'm trying to figure it out.. Looks like they now have limited or only paid memebrship 3rd party hosting.
Yes, had the same problem on another forum. You'll need to find another picture hosting site. My old PB pics are still showing but I hardly have any in PB. Seems it's only affecting larger users.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You have to pay FailBucket $400 bucks a year for their extortion racket, if you want to host pictures there.

You can post pictures here that are stored in your computer. Scroll down when in the post screen and you will see a block that says Manage Attachments. When you click that, just follow through with everything.

I'll attach a pic here for your enjoyment.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can post pictures here that are stored in your computer. Scroll down when in the post screen and you will see a block that says Manage Attachments. When you click that, just follow through with everything.
Does that mean you have to have your computer on for people to see the pic or is the attachment stored on the TRS server?

geofri

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the photo tip. I have to edit each one due to size reconstructions.

Livid.

Mechanic warned me that my driveshaft ujoint was bad and making sounds( wasn't before...)

Got halfway home( 1mile) from picking up the truck and hear it when I slowed down to listen....

See attached..

Attachments

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Does that mean you have to have your computer on for people to see the pic or is the attachment stored on the TRS server?
Your computer doesn't have to be on. I guess it's stored, however that is done. I've put numerous pics on many sites, and with my home computer off, I can see the pics on a computer at work.

Another thing, if you are editing a post, you click "Go Advanced" and follow the same procedure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals