• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bronco II

thepretzelman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So I have a buddy who I go wheeling with and he drives an older 4-runner, anyway earlier today he was talking about getting another truck to wheel he said he was looking into getting a Bronco well I said you should get a Bronco II those are pretty cool, then he said that the Bronco II was the most worthless pieces of sh*t he has ever seen and the nobody wheels them. Well I have never driven one but I have seen some of the ones on this site that guys have built and I think that they would handle pretty good on trails. Anyway we have been arguing about this for a couple hours and I am looking for some good information on how the Bronco II is a good wheeling truck and not a worthless piece of sh*t.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Stock they aren't bad, my dad's old b2 on street tires constantly showed up his friends toyota pickup and 4runner, especially in snow wheeling. There's some weak spots the D28 front axle and A4LD automatic to be specific. As with most rigs they need have some decent work done to them before they get very off-road worthy, the short wheelbase makes them excelent for tight trails, I prefer having an enclosed cab compared to an open top jeep or samurais. THey aren't for everyone but it's the right rig for me.

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tell him to get off his high horse.

B2's are just-as, if not more, capable rigs then a jeep/toyota when everybody is kept to stock limitations. When the modding starts, again, everybody still seems to stay on par. If you dropped equal caliber gear/axles/suspension into each breed of rig they would all perform about the same.

It's each owners fine tuning and driving that makes rigs what they are.

As for
some good information on how the Bronco II is a good wheeling truck
I outflex my buddies solid axle toyota, by alot.
I outflex some lifted jeeps that I meet. lol, makes them scratch their head.

PS: if he's going to change his opinion just because you said "ya thats a good idea" he sounds like a goof, lol.

Last edited:

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
The ttb has a VERY nice turning radius.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
The ttb has a VERY nice turning radius.
IN ONE DIRECTION! Ha...

And I like my TIB & Y-link...not bad and easy. Jacked up, they f-in suck!

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You argued a couple of hours straight without it turning into a fist fight? What are you, a couple of Marys? After 5 minutes when it obviously wasn't working you should have just kicked his ass.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
You argued a couple of hours straight without it turning into a fist fight? What are you, a couple of Marys? After 5 minutes when it obviously wasn't working you should have just kicked his ass.
haha thats classic, i have been in plenty of them situations, somehow your point sinks in better while your beating someone in the face and yelling it to them.

WhiteBroncoII2WD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So I have a buddy who I go wheeling with and he drives an older 4-runner, anyway earlier today he was talking about getting another truck to wheel he said he was looking into getting a Bronco well I said you should get a Bronco II those are pretty cool, then he said that the Bronco II was the most worthless pieces of sh*t he has ever seen and the nobody wheels them. Well I have never driven one but I have seen some of the ones on this site that guys have built and I think that they would handle pretty good on trails. Anyway we have been arguing about this for a couple hours and I am looking for some good information on how the Bronco II is a good wheeling truck and not a worthless piece of sh*t.
The 88 I had growing up and used for off-roading never let me down. I believe the greatest quality of these trucks is their ability to always outperform any expectations.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Your buddy is probably just another one of the many who don't know better.

When I was up running the Dusy/Ershim trail about 2 months ago with a group of well-built Jeeps, I was the only one rarely 3-pointing a turn, and if not for one screwup where I high-centered on a rock that I didn't see, I would've probably been the only one to come out without a single issue to speak of as well (vehicle problems, etc).

I dunno, one part of me kindof wants the BII to remain an "unknown". It's always fun to come up behind the jeepers and hand their butt to them in a "worthless piece of sh*t" with a broken-in-the-middle front axle lol.
But then the other part of me says a lot more neat bolt-on goodies like the jeepers have may come forth if their 'image' (and popularity) changes in the offroading world. Not sure which I prefer :icon_confused:

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Your buddy is probably just another one of the many who don't know better.

When I was up running the Dusy/Ershim trail about 2 months ago with a group of well-built Jeeps, I was the only one rarely 3-pointing a turn, and if not for one screwup where I high-centered on a rock that I didn't see, I would've probably been the only one to come out without a single issue to speak of as well (vehicle problems, etc).

I dunno, one part of me kindof wants the BII to remain an "unknown". It's always fun to come up behind the jeepers and hand their butt to them in a "worthless piece of sh*t" with a broken-in-the-middle front axle lol.
But then the other part of me says a lot more neat bolt-on goodies like the jeepers have may come forth if their 'image' (and popularity) changes in the offroading world. Not sure which I prefer :icon_confused:
Truer words have never been spoken.

Pete

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Umb... is it just me who noticed this or am I wrong? didn't a fellow post a video on the forums of him and his buddy's trying to destroy a b 2 like 3 weeks ago? The verdict was IMPOSSIBLE to DESTROY ;) lol.

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
BTW isnt the first gen explorer sport pretty much a beefed up bronco ii? its like the 89/90 model just longer wheelbase and better drive train. Same dash front grill and trans.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
BTW isnt the first gen explorer sport pretty much a beefed up bronco ii? its like the 89/90 model just longer wheelbase and better drive train. Same dash front grill and trans.
Beefed up to the point of how much of it still a BII.

The front grille was a different style but was interchangable. Wider stance, beefed up A4LD in an attempt to get it to hold up to the new 4.0, 31 spline 8.8 axle, SUA rear suspension... there were more things different than the same between the two trucks.

Mechanickid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
true but i believe those were all improvements :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals