• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Help! 2.3L wont start

meh77gmc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys,
I have tried searching, and researching but I am stumped. Two days ago, while driving 60mph on the way to work, my engine shut off suddenly (like someone threw a switch). There was no spitting or sputtering or any warnings, it just quit while going down the road. Everything else in the truck still works. It turns over strongly. It is a '96 XLT with a five-speed (if it matters). I checked for and found no blown fuses. I swapped relays to see if that was the problem, with no change. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on, BUT the Check Engine light does not go off after a few seconds like I've read on here that it should. I checked each of the exhaust-side plug wires for spark and found that #3 cylinder tower on the coil pack was not firing. Having spark, I know the crankshaft position sensor is good. I replaced the exhaust side coil pack and now have spark on all four cylinders, but it still doesn't even try to start. I sprayed some highly flammable gun scrubber into the air cleaner (I don't have any starting fluid), and it wouldn't even try to light off. I have no idea where to go from here!
This is my daily driver and I have to get it running again. Any help would be a Godsend for me. Thanks y'all.

Mike

meh77gmc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Nevermind, I discovered a timing belt that now has two ends.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oops, that will slow down those valves :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals