• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fan clutch nut won't come off

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
You can unbolt the fan blades but can't remove them with the clutch still on the truck. Although if your blades are being replaced, you might be able to do something with a grinder..

It's tight but I usually manage to work everything between 2 blades...

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Easiest way ever is to put an air chisel up against the nut and pop it a few times. Yeah, it might put a groove in the nut but it will come off in 2 seconds. Lisle makes a kit specifically for this, has different sized wrenches and a long shaft to fit between the wrench and your air chisel. This doesn't screw up the nut, but gets that sucker off in seconds. I bought one last year and haven't struggled with a fan nut since.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Easiest way ever is to put an air chisel up against the nut and pop it a few times. Yeah, it might put a groove in the nut but it will come off in 2 seconds. Lisle makes a kit specifically for this, has different sized wrenches and a long shaft to fit between the wrench and your air chisel. This doesn't screw up the nut, but gets that sucker off in seconds. I bought one last year and haven't struggled with a fan nut since.
Do you have a picture of this kit or a link to it?? I always need new tools and this sounds good.

Ed

bronco2blue

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
After spraying it with penetrating oil for about a week straight I took an electric hammer drill with a long chisel blade to the fan clutch nut and had it off in mere seconds. Didn't even have to remove the belt and it probably would have came off without the penetrating oil. Thanks for all the useful advice. The new heavy duty fan clutch keeps the motor nice and cool.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Thanks for the follow up:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals