• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do i have a a 2.0 or 2.3??? 1984

rangerdewd84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so a long time ago, before I got the truck, someone did an engine swap. I don't know if they put the original engine back in ( which according to the VIN number would be a 2.0l) or put in a 2.3. I researched the casting number on the block below the exhaust manifold and a few links came up on google. One of the first ones was a guy on one of those "ask an expert" sites who had the exact same number and the expert said 2.3l 140 CID, ect. Now when i thought i had a 2.3 and not a 2.0l like i had originally thought, I made sure the parts i had been buying were right. The spark plugs were different so i put in 2.3l spark plugs. NOW, yesterday i took off the valve cover to have a look around and i wrote down the casting numbers on the cylinder head and it said "E67E" "A8" "D06". I did some looking around and the "E67E" casting number seems to come up with 2.0l heads. The number on the block that led me to believe it was a 2.3 was "E59E-6015-BA. I'm really frustrated and confused :<

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
2.0 head on a 2.3 block? Is that even possible?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
2.0 head on a 2.3 block? Is that even possible?
Yes, they are the same bolt pattern but the pistons are slightly bigger on the 2.3...and if you use the 2.0 head gasket you will see the difference right away...but use the 2.3 head gasket regardless when the time comes.

As for the confusion to the OP...what are you trying or wanting to do? If it's just identify what you have then you are making this more difficult and putting a higher level of importance on this knowledge than you will ever need.

So...what, other than identify the engine, do you need or want?

EDIT: Just for reference sake, lets go back to the plant where they made and assembled these engines...so Harry, the builder, is making 2.0 engines and happily cranks out a few a day for so many days...one day Harry looks in his parts bin and finds he has no blocks left so he calls up supply and asks them to send another skid or two his way...the parts supply finds out they are also out of the 2.0 blocks but seem to have excess 2.3 blocks...so they send Harry a skid or two of the 2.3 blocks and some pistons to finish them with since they use the same crank and other parts...

Harry quits the next day and Sam takes his place...Sam's house is blue but Harry was living in a red house so the engines will still be the same...just have different sized pistons...

Last edited:

rangerdewd84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What I want to do is ensure that im buying the right parts for my truck....

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
only difference between 2.0 and 2.3 blocks is bore size, shouldnt matter if your not dealing with piston and rings.. i had a 2.3 that ran a 2.0 head because all i could find was a 2.0 round port carb intake..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals