• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

98 ranger won't start

rangergirl14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I am trying to diagnose my no crank/ no start problem. This just started yesterday when I was up in the mtns, truck suddenly wouldnt start. No cranking, no clicking sounds, just nothing. Battery is fine, I checked that, and I was able to roll start it on the clutch, and it ran just fine (at least the hills up there are nice and steep :) ). Today it still won't start with the key. I checked fuses, and battery connections. Thinking maybe starter or solonoid went bad?

Anybody have any little tricks to check that, cuz I don't have a volt meter?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, reads like starter motor or solenoid on top of the starter motor.

BUT(always a but), it could also be the Neutral switch, assuming manual trans from "push start".
On a manual trans that is the Clutch switch on pedal's push rod, clutch pedal must be pushed down all the way to close the switch and pass starter activation voltage from key switch to starter solenoid.

The smaller wire on the starter solenoid gets 12volts when key is turned to START, that 12volts passes thru the Clutch pedal switch.

Making SURE the tires are blocked and truck is in NEUTRAL, you can use a jumper wire from Battery positive to that "S" terminal on the starter solenoid, starter should activate when 12volts it applied to that terminal.
If it does then problem is in the clutch switch or ignition switch(key switch under the steering column)

If it doesn't click then no starter motor and solenoid is bad.

rangergirl14

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! I haven't tried jumping the starter yet, but I thought of the clutch switch.. When I pulled the floor mat out to get a better view of the switch, the plastic retaining piece fell out. :eek: I believe this piece just holds it in place and does not affect functionality but.... if it was loose enough to fall out, might that indicate something is broken?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, it is most likely not working(broken), or separated because clip fell off, so not working

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals