• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

04 ranger t-case strength

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I am in the process of putting together parts for my 4bt swap

So far I have the engine and zf5. Next up is the t-case

But what t-case in in my 04 currently(electric shift) and would it be strong enough behind a 250hp 450tq engine? Will it even bolt up to my ZF5(4wd)

If not is there any aluminum t-case that will fit between my frame rails? I am trying to stay away from the cast 205

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
BW1354 case, might take 250 horse, doubt it will take 450 ft.lb, and def won't bolt right up to a ZF5.

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Damit, ok.

Any suggestions on a aluminum t-case that will fit between the frame rails and bolt to a zf?

rustywrench

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Brad, fancy meeting you here! Why are you shying away from the NP 205??? Weight issues? I know that an aluminum 1356 out of a Full size truck is about 50 lbs. lighter than a NP205. That aint much considering the big picture.......

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey Brad, fancy meeting you here! Why are you shying away from the NP 205??? Weight issues? I know that an aluminum 1356 out of a Full size truck is about 50 lbs. lighter than a NP205. That aint much considering the big picture.......
I dont like the idea of a cast Iron t-case hanging off an already "weak" aluminum tail housing

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
you are wise to avoid the 205 if 450 pounds of torque and abuse is in the scenario.

one thing about the zf5 that most people dont know, is they suck with big power and crack and bust with a retarded heavy doubler combination hanging off of them. many a big block guy has shit canned these (bullet proof transmissions) to go back to a c6 after fanagling the mounting situation and repeatedly being let down. dragging your junk off the trail 3 times in a season after you "upgraded" to a big block 5 speed sux.

for typical smallblock power level they are pretty good. but that is sub 350 pounds of torque territory.

making a custom foot to mount these should be a given if you drive like you stole it. i can fit that description from time to time....its why with a big power sbf i would run a built aod or 4r70....or with a bbf a e4od. both of those will whoop a c6's assss in any event. and are stronger case wise then the zf5.

conversely, your talking 250 hp 4bt....well....that will be 500 plus torque if you spend the jack to actually get an honest 250 hp...

so.

your fawked. 205 it is.

you want to make a bad ass foot to mount the np 205 to as it is the only logical cost effective choice. it fits great and will take an ass whoopin the best out of what is out there.

if i was to do this i would do a divorced setup and use a 2wd trans.. if i was going to drive it on the road and needed od.

otherwise i would save for a ried case t400 and run the th400 till i got cash for the ried case...

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is getting a ZF5-s42 or s47(I have both). I dont drive autos

at 250hp it should be 450tq

The s42 is rated at 420ft/lb the s47 is rated at 470ft/lbs

I have never had a problem with any ZF strength wise other than the trans mount foot and I have a supercharged 460 in front of one and a 600ft/lb power stoke in front of another. Neither is driven lightly

Does anyone know if a 208 from an 80s ford would fit in the frame rails?

Last edited:

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How about a 4406 from a newer F150? Can that take the power and will that bolt up to a ZF5?

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I ran a ZF5spd with 205/Atlas II doubler and a blown 393. 480ftlbs of torque! That was in a fullsize bronco rock crawler. No issue with that set-up, but it is harder to crawl coordinating shifting, clutch action, and skinny pedal vs an auto tranny.

I made transfer case mounts coming off both sides of the 205 case to the frame. There are many examples of how to do it and the 205 has the bolts and surfaces on the case to do such. I wanted lower gearing than the 1.96 to 1 low in the 205 and added the Atlas.

I do not see where the 4406 would be any stronger than a 1356 or 208. All offer a lower low range around 2.6:1.

This is one of my old links for ford cases: http://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech/transfer_cases.htm

Diesel_brad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ran a ZF5spd with 205/Atlas II doubler and a blown 393. 480ftlbs of torque! That was in a fullsize bronco rock crawler. No issue with that set-up, but it is harder to crawl coordinating shifting, clutch action, and skinny pedal vs an auto tranny.

I made transfer case mounts coming off both sides of the 205 case to the frame. There are many examples of how to do it and the 205 has the bolts and surfaces on the case to do such. I wanted lower gearing than the 1.96 to 1 low in the 205 and added the Atlas.

I do not see where the 4406 would be any stronger than a 1356 or 208. All offer a lower low range around 2.6:1.

This is one of my old links for ford cases: http://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech/transfer_cases.htm
Thanks for the feed back and the link. I like the 4406 idea to keep it electric shift and MAYBE it os small enough to fit between the frame rails

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals