• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 98 Expy Project

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Well, you know the saying "when it rains, it pours"? Such is the case with this Expedition..... literally. It was quite a rainy night we had Saturday, and I had to spend the night in the ER - so I was away from home. When I got home on Sunday, my neighbor told me my Expedition's alarm was going off at 2am and it sounded like it was trying to start and it was smoking..... basically it was possessed. Luckily my neighbor came over and unhooked the battery on it.

Thinking their description of the events seemed a little dramatic, I decided I'd hook up the battery. Sumbeach'n starter just started cranking, just by hooking up the battery. I used my good buddy google to try and diagnose this string of events, and came across several posts saying the same thing happened to other Expy's in a rain storm. As you stated previously, ADSM, it appears maybe my 3 month old windshield is leaking, sending water to the ECU and that is creating the thing to go into a trance. Piss.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'll bet you any money that you split that GEM open and the guts are Lady Liberty Green.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I'll bet you any money that you split that GEM open and the guts are Lady Liberty Green.
Is this something I can clean up with electronic parts cleaner, and have it work again? Or do I need to go looking for a GEM at the yard? Does PATS run through the GEM? If so, is there a number I can match up to make it work with my existing key?

Also.... in my searches I've found that this is more of an Expedition deal than an F150 deal. That seems strange to me.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
To answer my own question, the GEM does not have anything to do with PATS. At least in 98 it didn't. I started it a couple days after the rain. It ran fine but the instrument cluster was wigging out. Fast forward to today and all seems fine again. It's supposed to rain agian though. I need to see if this is a windshield issue and get that jackass to reinstall it if so.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Future changes and mods are....

I need to get more line pressure on the trans. My Buddy has a kit he's been wanting to try on a 4R70W called the Pressure Riser by Superior. He wants to put it on this and have me test it out. Basically, it intercepts the signal to the EPC and modifies it to make it have more pressure. This will increase shift firmness, and make it shift quicker. This also will increase capacity with more holding power, and also the trans life. But.... this will be my Wife's DD. So, I might just do that kit on Hoss. The F150 is more of my work horse. He wants to do it on a new trans though, which is understandable. He's leaving for Pennsylvania for two months sometime this next week - so it's a time crunch. I may just put a new Sonnax boost valve in it.

I plan to find an OEM sub for this thing, and just use the enclosure for a little more kick on the stereo.

I have new shocks waiting to go on.

I have new plugs and wires waiting to go on.

I also have a new fuel filter, and a set of new injectors for it.

I know there's more....LOL
I have a tuner for mine, I love the more refined shift points on tow/haul but the firmness sucks. I have a Superchip and my brother had an Edge in his '97, both shifted hard enough it would chirp the fanbelt in my truck. In unrelated news for some stupid reason my brother's '97 4.6 had two more ribs on the belt than my '02 5.4 and didn't slip. Supposed to run cooler and all that but dang on the powertrain shockload.

Joy....

It appears this pig has the obligatory Romeo head gasket oil leak. I guess I won't use 5W-20 in it anymore.

I would rather have a ooze than wipe out the cam bearings and tensioners.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I just took the old girl for a ride tonight. I noticed that my brights kept turning on whenever I touched the multi-function switch. I've also been dealing with a wonky clock spring on it. I'm getting a code for the air bag (52 or 54) and it started making all kinds of racket when turning.

Soooo.... I just ordered some new goodies for it.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I finally got around to putting the multi-function switch in today. I bought an off branded switch on Ebay, and was pleased to see it is a rebranded switch from Ford's OEM source.

I also picked up one of these keyless/anti-theft boxes for cheap (new). There's a sticker in it that says "programming required". So is that a PATS thing, or does that just mean the remotes need programmed tp this box?

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
All the sudden my dog started going nuts and barking out the window. Then my daughter said the Expedition was trying to start by itself. Sure as piss, the windshield leaked rain water on the floor again. So I pulled the GEM and fuse box. The GEM had this cover on it, and looks brand new. I don't know if this is am OEM cover, or an attempt at keeping it dry as an afterthought.

I opened up the GEM and it looks brand new.

However, the fuse box has water in it. And I can't seem to figure out how this needs to come apart. It appears the studs on both sides are connected.

So, now it's sitting in a bucket of rice to dry it out.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals