• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

potentially major issues... 94 B4000

Brad474747

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
i've been having an issue with my B4000 lurching on acceleration when it's cold, i figured it was just gunked up plugs cause it isnt bad when it's up to operating temp. CEL has been burning bright since i bought it back in March, it was giving a 172 code until today when i decided to pull the codes again to see what was new, KOER it wouldnt even go into diagnostic mode, had to pull what codes i could in KOEO, any opinions on what i should do here? it's started taking longer to turn over and has been idling rough as well, i'll list the codes i pulled below...

Hard codes: 335, 522 (odd cause it's a manual), and 529
Memory codes: 172, 176, 214, 336

general consensus from dad and brother are leaning toward ECM failure due to my 529 code, what's my best course of action here?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Change in RPM not matching Driver input(gas pedal) could be bad spring on throttle plate or IAC valve needs to be cleaned.

OBD1 computers are pretty simple devices, I would pull out the computer pop the top and have a look inside, if computer is the problem you will generally see a problem on circuit board, not always but worth a look before trying to find another one.

529 could just be bad hookup to read codes
172/176 is usually a vacuum leak or MAF sensor needs cleaning
214 is bad link from EDIS module, but a temporary one
335/336 are EGR sensor issues, if you have an EGR system then check vacuum hoses, that could explain 4 of the codes.
522 is clutch switch wiring, check clutch pedal switch.

Good look here at the inside of the computer(EEC-IV): http://www.auto-diagnostics.info/ford_eec_iv

Moisture can get inside the computer connector and cause issues including codes and hard to read issues

Brad474747

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
the lurch isnt an input issue, it's misfiring really badly and running incredibly rich. it's making no power and when it misfires i cant even get it up to speed, probably should have mentioned that in the OP, havent gotten a chance to do anything with it yet cause i've been working...
we checked the vacuum system while we were chasing down the original codes back in april and there werent any leaks, i'll take a look at that in the morning, im more worried about getting the computer checked out so i feel comfortable driving it again...

last question, would you recommend driving it in its current state? or does it need to get parked till we work it out?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I doubt you will hurt the engine but it could leave you stranded, and maybe with a towing bill.

172/176 are Lean codes, so running rich would be the opposite, UNLESS, the Lean codes are both O2 sensors being bad, very very long shot for both to fail at the same time, OR the computer or wire reading the O2 sensors is bad.

O2 sensors are the final says on air/fuel mix.
They generate their own voltage, .1 to .9volts, .1v is Lean, .9v is Rich
lean means too much oxygen in exhaust
rich means too little oxygen in exhaust
So O2 sensor can't see fuel just "O"xygen, if it could see fuel it would be called an HC sensor, lol.

Computer opens fuel injectors for a specific time based on MAF(air flow) sensor data.
After fuel is added it looks at O2 sensor voltage, if voltage is .2(lean) then computer opens fuel injectors a little longer, then looks at O2 voltage again, if it is .7(rich) it closes injectors sooner.
Computer changes injector open times at least 10 times every second, and O2 voltage is read at least 10 times a second.
So system is very fast at adjusting air/fuel mix to get best O2 voltage, .35v to .45v, is the sweet spot.

If an O2 sensor should fail Lean and show .2v when it should have .4v then computer would be adding more fuel than needed so engine would run rich and computer would think everything is fine.
Or if the connector at the computer or O2 sensor had moisture inside it, then the correct .4v from O2 sensor could end up as .2v at the computer because of the corrosion.

Fuel mix does have a "sanity check", if above should happen the computer would be opening fuel injectors Longer to add the extra fuel to bring up voltage on the O2s, Computer has baseline of how long fuel injectors should be open based on MAF data.
If computer is opening them too long then computer will set Lean code, engine is never running Lean, lean codes means computer thinks it is adding too much fuel for the MAF datas air flow.
Which happens with a vacuum leak, not all the air is coming in thru the MAF, so computer is having to add more fuel than it thinks it should, Lean code.

For rich running also check Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR) on fuel rail, front passenger side, lower intake.
It will have Fuel return line and a vacuum line, remove the vacuum line and check it for fuel, if FPR leaks fuel gets sucked into engine, causing rich mix

Misfiring engine can cause lean codes as well, because O2s "see" only oxygen, if a cylinder misfires the oxygen is not burnt with the fuel, so it is dumped into the exhaust and O2 voltage goes down.

Brad474747

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Both O2 sensors were replaced in march, it was originally giving 172 and 136, replacing the sensors got rid of 136 but 172 remained... i noticed when i was changing the fuel filter saturday that there was what appeared to be oil covering the passenger side sensor, would it help to pull the sensor and clean it?
i'll start with pulling the computer and checking the connection in the morning, what's the best way to go about doing that without ripping everything apart?

ZackW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
the lurch isnt an input issue, it's misfiring really badly and running incredibly rich. it's making no power and when it misfires i cant even get it up to speed
Mine just recently did the same thing after sitting for about a year. Ran fine before parked, then would intermittently misfire and spit out black smoke going down the road. Then it would start running fine for a while, then repeat the cycle.

I ended up unplugging my MAF sensor and the issues cleared up. Granted, even if that makes the problems go away, it's not necessarily going to be the cause, but it at least got my truck drive-able for a while.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals