• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project Guinea Pig

bcw

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Cant fix it use a bigger hammer
Yea I've read most of his threads. That dude has the most insane ideas lol.
I feel your pain, I have an idea of how I want my ranger to look and perform but keep changing my mind with the same phrase ooo that might work better.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Found a rear suspension setup I think I can bring in within my budget.

:icon_rofl:

bcw

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Cant fix it use a bigger hammer

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I'm trying to choose a rear axle and have narrowed down to either an E350 Dana 60U or a 93 - 97 Sterling 10.25 (they have the better pinion support over earlier or metric / later ones)
Kind of leaning towards the Sterling for its beefiness and lets face it, they're cheap.
Don't want a 14 bolt or D70 (actually too beefy / heavy)

Thinking about selling the EB D44 now too.

Its time for the next step on this pile. :icon_welder:

Edit: Just got the Sploder running again but its really tacky. I never found the electrical problem that made the fuel pump not operate so theres a jumper running through the interior to the hole in the floor above the pump. I've also killed the fuel gauge somehow. This thing needs a ton of help and its my dd. Its the priority.
But it wasn't the in tank pump so I don't need to re-replace that again. I started looking at a Holley black pump...
This is the second Exploder I've had do this, btw. I hate electrical gremlins especially on something with as much wire as a Sploder.

Edit. I deleted the jumper wire through the interior. Still no fuel gauge which sucks. But it runs...
Was hoping to hear back about a major part for the Ranger contraption today but I probably missed it. :(

Last edited:

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I'll bet the 3 or 4 of you that watch this thread have noticed I haven't posted about it lately.
The truth is that I've barely looked at this thing in nearly two months. The combination of crappy weather, declining work and our dollar tanking ($0.70 today) have conspired to really take my mind off it.

The poor value of the dollar pretty much limits how much "new" as in new in box stuff I'll get until things improve. However, "new" as in new to the truck will still go. I might have to change some plans like the coilovers.
I've located two rearends for it A 10.25 (93 F-350) and a D60 (68 F-250) and should move on one this weekend.

Hopefully I'll have an update this weekend with some movement on my junk.
:popcorn:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Yeah I've been wondering what's going on. I hope you get one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Kind of wish I'd started in this direction in the first place. I'd be a lot further ahead by now. But it'll be more bulletproof with 3/4 or 1 ton axles. A sbf is on the agenda too.
I know an 8.8 and D44 would have survived a while. Everybody elses does but when I do something monumentally stupid with the truck (and I'm gonna, believe me) the bigger axle shafts and u joints will hang in there a bit better.

Besides, the Bronco II gets all the cast~offs from this and probably would stress them less to boot.

This all seems great until some dude suggests I need Rockwells. Then I'm screwed. lol

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I know what you mean, I wish I had went with 1tons to start with. I know it's just a matter of time until I break a front shaft and I can't get out of where I am. I've got the front end now I'm just biding my time until I find a good deal on a ff 14 bolt with disc brakes and a LS.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I believe that. Problem is, the half ton stuff almost bolts in with the right collection of parts. And for most, its quite capable offroad and most won't break much. Others find the limits quickly and often.

The "Bolt on D44 swap thread" http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=236289
(Its really straightforward according to this^)

As far as I know, there is no "How to swap 3/4 or 1 ton running gear to a Ranger" specific thread, I mean lots of people have done it but theres no particular way to do it. And certainly, no "How to bolt a D60 under your Ranger" thread.

If it helps, the AAM axles used under later (2003 up, give or take) Dodges are more or less 14 bolt axles. AAM bought the 14 bolt from GM and have turned it into several different axles including a steering axle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10.5"_Corporate_14_Bolt_Differential
As far as I know, a 3/4 ton 2wd Ram should have a 10.5" "14 bolt" axle with disc brakes. Makes an odd place to shop for a 14 bolt but my philosophy is, 'hey, whatever works.'
:icon_thumby:
I'm not a fan of the 14 bolt. The center hangs too low.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Yeah I know it does and that is a down fall. I've thought about building a rear steer 9" but idk how well it would work with D60 knuckles...

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I know it does and that is a down fall. I've thought about building a rear steer 9" but idk how well it would work with D60 knuckles...
Thats a "609 hybrid axle" they've been around a while. Lots of options to build one of these. High pinion (http://www.truehi9.com/), lots of spline counts, every ratio known to man. With the D60 outers, Reid (http://www.reidracing.biz/off-road-products/dana-60-knuckles) or Solid (http://solidaxle.com/ProductCart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=8).
High steer, literally everything you might want ~ you can do if your wallet is thick enough.
http://www.powerblocktv.com/episode/XT2007-16/hybrid-609-axle-build-moab-i

Last edited:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Oh wow!

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
So I estimate it would be around $2,000 to build a rear steer 9"/D60 hybrid.

prerunner

Reaction score
Make / Model
Blue oval!
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I'm sure its possible to build a "junkyard" 609. But there would be challenges in keeping everything square and true plus you'd be stuck with the low pinion housing. The 9" ring & pinion is actually a lot stronger than the 10 1/2" Dana 60 and engages teeth better. The advantages of the 9" make it worthwhile but yeah, you'd probably end up with a ton of money invested even in a jy built version.
But then again, the Trail Gear kit starts at around $3 G. https://www.trail-gear.com/TG/Front_Roller_Kit__3_5_-1_4__Wall/i_0_0_4515/_300613-KIT.aspx Looks to have everything except the center section of the axle and shafts (which would be custom lengths no matter what.)
Something to think about or maybe save up for? :headbang:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Yeah there's no way I could justify buying that kit to my self.
Id really like to build the rear steer but I think I'd be plenty happy with the solid rear 609/906 what ever it's called. I'm gonna have to research more on parts and my 9" housings to see if I have to re-tube them.

I'm working for a construction company now, turning wrenches. They have a bad ass Miller wire feed and a tig welder. I have full access to every tool and piece of machinery they have now. After work as long as nothing's in the bay I can work on my shit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals