• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fixin' up the "Farm Truck"

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Usually you have to pull the engine to do the pan gasket, might be a good time to give the engine a bath if he pulls it all the way out.
We replaced the oil pump in my dad's first gen 2.3 ranger by pulling the transmission out. Did the same thing years later in tech school with a 2.3 foxbody mustang.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

TxRanger57

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Good proyect, if u remove t he engine, do a little paint n reseal all engine on rockauto you get good prices is better, maybe is good if you replace oil pump too

Enviado desde mi SM-G386T1 mediante Tapatalk

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
Some small success to report. I leaned out the fuel/air mixture and adjusted the timing slightly and now it doesn't buck or try to die when warmed up. It has very little power though. I think I'll mess with the timing some more before I leave work.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Sounds like you got some work to do and what happened to the other intake??? Would it not fit??

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I haven't tried yet. I'm looking for a good 2 bbl carb for it. My brother had a 2100 laying around, so I'll probably rebuild that and see how things go.

I've gotten it to run pretty well, but it still seems really low on power. I have to flog the motor to get up to highway speeds and even the slightest incline results in loss of speed.

I know it's just a little 4 cylinder, but I was hoping it could at least keep its speed. I've owned many 4 cylinder vehicles over the years, but none as lethargic as this 2.3L. I think I still have some tuning to do. I think it should be making more power than this. Maybe not much more, but some more.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Change the fuel filter I'd start there make sure the fuel pressure is right... Not a lot to go wrong on your system. Maybe it's pinging? Idk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I need to pick up a pressure gauge anyway and a new fuel filter wouldn't hurt. So I'll give that a shot. I was thinking I might be a little too far advanced on my timing. I'll check the fuel and put a light on the timing and see where I am. Thanks for the tips.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Have you tore the carb apart to clean it yet?? Might be all full of poo poo...

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
The farm truck lost a little bit of it's "character" this weekend. I unloaded the camper shell at my brother's place. It's going on his 90 Ranger.

While we were over there, I replaced what was left of my muffler with one he had left over from an engine swap we did on his wife's CJ-5. The little ranger is starting to feel like daily driver material now!

I also picked up a bench seat console online. It's a nice console, but a little too long for the ranger. The shifter hits the cup holder when in second, forth, or reverse. I haven't decided if I'll modify the shifter or modify the console.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Matte clear coat that bitch. The patina is awesome! Definitely rat rod material for sure.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Um wow yes for sure that is perfect I'd keep it like that for as long as I could lol

96firephoenix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wow, that interior was in great shape under that protective layer of dirt that kept off the UV! silver linings, lol.

You're doing a great job of catching up on the work on this car!

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Day ????: MOAR POWER!!

Thanks. I'm really happy with the interior. The drivers side of the seat has a seam that ripped and a previous owner cut holes in the doors for speakers, but other than that, she's mint.

I like the patina, too. I thought about painting it, but I think I'll leave it like it is. I will fix the rust on the rear fenders, though, so I might have to do some painting there to protect the new metal.

I've been slowly adjusting the timing back and forth and think I'm really close. I don't have any bucking whatsoever. I was really having trouble any time the motor was bogged down at all. It would buck and have no power at all. I'd have to down shift, rev it way up, and then shift again. Not anymore! Power is way up from where I started. But I think I'm hearing just a hint of ping, so I'm going to back it off just a tad and see if that goes away.

I think I can lean up the mixture just a bit too. I think I had my initial idle set too low, so the mixture had to be overly rich to compensate. I brought up the idle and leaned out the mixture a lot more and she seems happy. I was really worried. The first couple tanks only averaged around 12 mpg. I really hope to be in the high teens. I think I'm on track for that now.

It's so much nicer to drive. Now I need to do something about those worn out factory speakers. I have a functional muffler now and can hear just how bad they are!

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Merry Christmas!

Santa dropped off, or rather went and picked up, some goodies for the little Ranger today. Got a rebuild kit for the Motorcraft 2100 that I was given by my brother. Also got a new cap and rotor to finally finish the tune up I started a few weeks ago.

I'm a little concerned that the 2100 I got may be too much carb. It's the 1.08 Venturi version and has 48F jets in it right now. I've read that it 1.01 is preferable for these motors. I don't know. All I know is this YFA has got to go! One way or another! The 2100 came off a junk yard Jeep CJ-5 and was coated in years of grease, grime, and mud!

Today... is a good day.

After a little cleaning and partial disassembly.

Are these jets too big? Too small?

The cap and rotor are currently holding down my classic coke cooler, lol.

I straightened my shifter a bit so it isn't hitting the cup holders any more. It just barely clears the dash.

But at least I can have a drink without doing the "stick shift shuffle"!

Santa also dropped this off, but sadly it's got my brother and his wife's name on it. Yes, Santa shops at Harbor Freight. Get over it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals