• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Star wheel adjuster

Blackfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Changing the drum brakes today and have the left side done. The right side drum rotated but I couldnt get it off so I adjusted the star wheel to move the pads inward, but the wrong way. Don't know if it was up or down, but now the drum is stuck. I pushed the star wheel adjuster stop out of the way but the star wheel won't turn in either direction. What am I missing here?

Thanks

Steve

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So I assume the drum will no longer turn because shoes are tight?

Try pressing down on the e-brake pedal a few times, that will center the shoes.
Open the bleeder and have some one press the e-brake again, fluid should come out bleeder, then tighten bleeder, release e-brake pedal, you can try this by yourself since e-brake pedal will stay down.

This should relieve some pressure on the shoes.

Drums usually stick to the axle, the shoes are on springs so if drum is loose from axle you should be able to pull out on the drum and it will move even if shoes are tight against it, may not come off but it will move :).

So if drum is not moving it is rusted to the axle.
There used to be two threaded holes in drums just for this reason, you could use bolts in the holes to push drum away from axle.
If you don't have these then use a metal bar, like socket extension and hammer between the studs, try to break it loose, tap the side of the drum as well, tap.
DO NOT use a hammer directly on the drum between the studs, you will miss the drum and hit a stud, lol, and that will be a real pain to replace.

Last edited:

Blackfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Yes the drum won't turn because the shoes are too tight. I'll try the centering, pressure relieving technique to free up the drum.

If the drum spins and is not stuck on the axle but doesn't come off, should that free up the star wheel adjuster too?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have a brake adjuster tool? It should turn in one direction where the clicks are alot louder and takes a little force to make it click. Light clicks out hard clicks is in.

Blackfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
No brake adjuster tool. I was using the two screwdriver method in the back access hole.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Drum will turn with axle if shoes are loose.
But........if you can not pull out on the drum, even if shoes are tight, then drum is rusted to axle.

You just did the other side so you know the shoes are held in place by springs, this means you should be able to pull out on the drum a little, even with shoes tight.

Yes, on the star wheel the easy(least resistance) direction to turn it will expand the shoes, the hard direction will loosen shoes

Last edited:

Blackfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
On the first side I adjusted the shoes inward and the drum came right off. I assumed the second side would be the same. But when you assume.......

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
IF the drum is stuck. I wire brushed the area, shot it with PB Blaster and started in on the hub with a 2 lb hammer. Doesnt take much

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
You can take a cut off wheel to the shoe "hold down nails " that stick through the backing plate. Then you can pull the drum and the shoes will kind of come out with it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On the first side I adjusted the shoes inward and the drum came right off. I assumed the second side would be the same. But when you assume.......
Yes, could be wheel was over tighten or water got behind drum.
I know my truck I used for boat launching was always a pain to get drums off, drums were often under water.

Blackfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The drum is now not stuck to the axle. I used a combination of releasing hydraulic pressure, PB Blaster and tapping on the drum. The drum wiggles around but will not turn. My guess is that the little ridge on the back edge of the drum is not letting it past the shoes. The star wheel will not back off on the shoes either. There are no threaded holes in the drum to push the drum away. Without cutting the "hold down nails", any other ideas on getting the drum off or releasing the pressure on the shoes?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If there is a ridge on the drums then there is alot of adjustment for the self adjuster. Is there any tension on the ebrake cables? Maybe disconnect the cable at the wye and step on the brake to pull the cable back into the wheel?

Blackfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
No tension on the ebrake cable at all.

Well I cut off the two pins in the back and was able to move the drum about 1/2" or so forward. Peeking inside the shoes are tight up against the drum that seems to be why the drum isn't rotating or pulling off.

Any other ways to retract the shoes?

Last edited:

Blackfish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Removed the e-brake cable and the bottom spring (just above the star wheel adjuster) from the inside of the drum by peeking in the drum as it pulls away. The shoes are still firmly against the drum and something is hold the drum from pulling away from the top. Still pulling, pounding and PB Blasting to get the drum off.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
take a screwdriver and push on the tab for the self adjuster away from the star wheel and see if you can turn the star wheel with another screwdriver. If not the adjuster is locked up and you need to grind the nails off and coax the drum off that way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals