• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Airbag light code 21

bossbailey

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2003 Ranger and I am trying to figure out how to fix airbag code 21. I have taken the cup holder plastics off to get to the RCM. It appears to be bolted down with all three bolts and they are tight. Also the ground wire next to it is corrosion free and bolted down. From my research the code indicates that the control module is not mounted properly. Are there any suggestions for the next step I should take? Thanks

Last edited:

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2003 Ranger and I am trying to figure out how to fix airbag code 21. I have taken the cup holder plastics off to get to the RCM. It appears to be bolted down with all three bolts and they are tight. Also the ground wire next to it is corrosion free and bolted down. From my research the code indicates that the control module is not mounted properly. Are there any suggestions for the next step I should take? Thanks
The description in the manual is "RCM bracket ground resistance high" I'd start by unbolting it and making sure all the mounting points are clean and free of oxidation or corrosion.

bossbailey

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Okay I will do that. When I bolt it back down are there any torque specs?

bossbailey

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Unbolted it and everything was clean. Bolted it back down pretty tight. Could not find any torque numbers to go by. Light is still on. Any other suggestions?

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There is only 2 more steps for the diag. on that code. Check the resistance between the module mounting surface and a good ground. If its less than 100 ohms, unplug the rcm and check the resistance between the black/orange wire and ground. If that's less than 100 ohms, replace the RCM.

bossbailey

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I will check them. If I do replace the RCM with a salvage yard part of the same year model with no airbag deployment does it have to be programmed?

bossbailey

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Replaced RCM with junk yard part same year model. Airbag light is now off. Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals