• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

6.2 DD Reliability?

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
May or may not be getting an 88 k2500 6.2 W/ about 175k miles

anything that i should look for? he says it's hard to start because the glow plugs aren't working..and I've done some research and found that they are known to break i guess.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know Will swears by them but most people I run into swear at them.

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I know Will swears by them but most people I run into swear at them.
lol! i know their injection pumps are known for going out and they aren't that powerful..but i want a diesel. and they get on average 20 which is pretty amazing. i only get about 17 in my dads cummins ( i probably drive too hard)

and i'm expecting less than 14 with my ranger now so i'm thinking about just selling it....

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do a search on the 6.2's getting cracked mains. I didn't know bout it till I took mine apart and found cracks around the bearing retainers. Very common problem with no reasonable fix. I'd say don't do it.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know my cousin in law has put at least one set of heads on his dads... it might be new enough to be a 6.5 though.

He is really lobbying to either ditch the truck or put a gas engine in it.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
hard starting could also be leaky injectors, worn injector pump, weak lift pump, non functional glow plugs, low compression, plugged fuel filter.........

and they only average 20 mpg with an OD........ but they will run on any old junk oily fuel you can find.

Injectors will run you about $200 for a set of 8
DB2 injector pump about $250
Glow plugs will be around $80
fuel filter will be around $20.

the blocks like to crack....... when I was looking for a buildable block ...... every 660 and 599 block I looked at was cracked in the same places

if you get a good deal on the truck you can get a military take out for less than a grand or one that was rebuilt and never used for about 1500 and have a decent truck that can run free or nearly free fuel.......

ofcourse for about the same money you can get a Ford with an IDI and not have those issues ('cept the weak DB2 injector pump)

Last edited:

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Military surplus sells new long block crates for ~$2000. Still I would go with a 350 before putting a 6.2 in anything.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The truck is only 600 bucks btw.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
what kind of condition is the body and frame in? GMT-400 had serious rust issues up here in the rust belt.......

if its not all rusted out then $600 is a good buy because even with a military take out and a new trans you will only be maybe 3 grand into it.

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what kind of condition is the body and frame in? GMT-400 had serious rust issues up here in the rust belt.......

if its not all rusted out then $600 is a good buy because even with a military take out and a new trans you will only be maybe 3 grand into it.
i haven't checked it out yet. if it is rusted out i might back away but for 600 if it runs good i might take a chance on it. assuming the frame and stuff isn't rusted too bad. could probably part it out and make my money back.

jdoggat22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
poppin my post cherry! 6.2 is Garbage with a CAP G! i work on them all day.. im a military tech. glow plugs break often, no power, blow head gaskets, crack journal caps. i hate them. the 6.5 got some upgrades, at least the turbo version did, but still not a desired motor IMO. if you want some power out of it you wont get 20mpg either. you have to change the injection pump timing to get some power but with 175k on that motor it wont hang with it. i would trade but only to put a cummins in the truck. or just buy it out right and drop a tbi small block into it or something. they are cheap and plentiful.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
poppin my post cherry! 6.2 is Garbage with a CAP G! i work on them all day.. im a military tech. glow plugs break often, no power, blow head gaskets, crack journal caps. i hate them. the 6.5 got some upgrades, at least the turbo version did, but still not a desired motor IMO. if you want some power out of it you wont get 20mpg either. you have to change the injection pump timing to get some power but with 175k on that motor it wont hang with it. i would trade but only to put a cummins in the truck. or just buy it out right and drop a tbi small block into it or something. they are cheap and plentiful.
I don't swear by them--I swear by mine.

Mine is a 1988 former Forest Service truck I bought in 2004 with 46,000 miles on it. It's at 115,000 now, 9 years later. I put a Banks turbo and a Gear Vendors splitter/overdrive on it when I first got it. In 9 years I replaced the waterpump, the alternator, the radiator and the brake master cylinder. I also put a new o-ring on the throttle shaft of the injection pump.

I want to help you hack on these things because I am not a Chevy lover, but I can't help you do it. Compared to my Powerstroke van this truck is much quicker, handles much better, pulls heavy loads much better and I think for the price of a single Powerstroke injector, I could buy a replacement motor for the 6.2.

I was in the marines for 10 years in the 80s and 90s and we had Hummers. Ours worked fine. When I bought my pickup in '04 my neighbor, a former Guardsman motor-t mech, promised me I would need an injection pump within a year. That was 9 years ago. Guards hummers sit most of the time, or they did before we started using the guard as regular army. I think that is the root of the problem. My truck has been a daily driver most of the time.

You should know that my trailer weighs 6,000# empty. It's a 24' WW-Trailers tri-axle gooseneck with a 12" frame. My 6.2 pulls 12# of boost has no problem with a track loader and my little backhoe on it. I have enough money to buy a new whatever everyone says is best. What I have still works and that's why I still have it.

I suspect my block is cracked. It doesn't mean anything. It's a hard pulling engine and I can get 23mpg empty if I hold it to 60mph. It gets 18mpg if I go 70-75 on the interstate. The cracks found are not failures, they are found during inspection. My truck is 25 years-old and I have zero concerns about it. In fact, it's TH400 is the most reliable piece of machinery I own. I'd be the world's biggest idiot to get rid of this truck.

I mean, what do you want me to say? I have a Powerstroke van rated at 210hp 425ft# and it's no match for my Banks 6.2. Banks rated their 6,2 at 207hp and 396ft# at the rear wheel--I called them to confirm this was the chassis dyno rating.

You would replace my motor with a 350? I had a 350 before I switched to a 6.2. I switched to a 6.2 because of a lovely running 350. I enjoyed 8 mpg average towing a little 6,000# load. I got 16 mpg with the same load and the 6.2. The 350 lived in 3rd gear on hills, the turbo'd 6.2 never downshifts, even with 12,000# on it. The 350 was slow in the 2500 4x4 I had it in. I have a friend with a 7.4 in a 2000 2500 4x4 and that truck feels a lot closer to what my Banks 6.2 feels like. But I get a lot better mileage.

So, yeah, the 6.2 is a piece of shit. It was designed and built by those idiots at Detroit Diesel who don't know which end of a crankshaft is up by people in Dayton, Ohio who don't know which end of their state is up. I would shy away.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i haven't checked it out yet. if it is rusted out i might back away but for 600 if it runs good i might take a chance on it. assuming the frame and stuff isn't rusted too bad. could probably part it out and make my money back.
never bought it? i would have put all that chevy powertrain and 10bolt front crap on the ranger for 600 bux....trust me i am not kidding:D

drop a tbi in place of a good running 6.2???/:icon_confused: drop a turbo on the 6.2 i can see.....tbi 350 can go choke on a dick at 3-4 bux a gallon:icon_surprised:

then again, working in current military deployment conditions....the 6.2 is not well placed.

Mine is a 1988 former Forest Service truck I bought in 2004 with 46,000 miles on it. It's at 115,000 now, 9 years later. I put a Banks turbo and a Gear Vendors splitter/overdrive on it when I first got it. In 9 years I replaced the waterpump, the alternator, the radiator and the brake master cylinder. I also put a new o-ring on the throttle shaft of the injection pump.

I want to help you hack on these things because I am not a Chevy lover, but I can't help you do it. Compared to my Powerstroke van this truck is much quicker, handles much better, pulls heavy loads much better and I think for the price of a single Powerstroke injector, I could buy a replacement motor for the 6.2.

I was in the marines for 10 years in the 80s and 90s and we had Hummers. Ours worked fine. When I bought my pickup in '04 my neighbor, a former Guardsman motor-t mech, promised me I would need an injection pump within a year. That was 9 years ago. Guards hummers sit most of the time, or they did before we started using the guard as regular army. I think that is the root of the problem. My truck has been a daily driver most of the time.

You should know that my trailer weighs 6,000# empty. It's a 24' WW-Trailers tri-axle gooseneck with a 12" frame. My 6.2 pulls 12# of boost has no problem with a track loader and my little backhoe on it. I have enough money to buy a new whatever everyone says is best. What I have still works and that's why I still have it.

I suspect my block is cracked. It doesn't mean anything. It's a hard pulling engine and I can get 23mpg empty if I hold it to 60mph. It gets 18mpg if I go 70-75 on the interstate. The cracks found are not failures, they are found during inspection. My truck is 25 years-old and I have zero concerns about it. In fact, it's TH400 is the most reliable piece of machinery I own. I'd be the world's biggest idiot to get rid of this truck.

I mean, what do you want me to say? I have a Powerstroke van rated at 210hp 425ft# and it's no match for my Banks 6.2. Banks rated their 6,2 at 207hp and 396ft# at the rear wheel--I called them to confirm this was the chassis dyno rating.

You would replace my motor with a 350? I had a 350 before I switched to a 6.2. I switched to a 6.2 because of a lovely running 350. I enjoyed 8 mpg average towing a little 6,000# load. I got 16 mpg with the same load and the 6.2. The 350 lived in 3rd gear on hills, the turbo'd 6.2 never downshifts, even with 12,000# on it. The 350 was slow in the 2500 4x4 I had it in. I have a friend with a 7.4 in a 2000 2500 4x4 and that truck feels a lot closer to what my Banks 6.2 feels like. But I get a lot better mileage.

So, yeah, the 6.2 is a piece of shit. It was designed and built by those idiots at Detroit Diesel who don't know which end of a crankshaft is up by people in Dayton, Ohio who don't know which end of their state is up. I would shy away.

well said. i think most of the cracks are livable as well to reasonable power levels...say 225 crank hp. but i see many more of these fail outright then anything else i have ever heard of. at a shipping yard in florida i looked through nearly 100 failed takeouts last spring. pretty crazy.

my 95 psd has never been touched by a 6.5 though:icon_surprised:...while its on the way out...i would like to see em stacked up. but its beat down 99 up trucks as well.:dunno: maybe your psd is fawked up. what is the unladen 0-60 time on the truck and the van??

big point i would like to hilight....i have run more miles on my engine in one year then you have in 9. not sure if that easier on it or harder...i think it is easier on them running distance.

i believe the main reason my engine has not failed yet is due to no turbo.

because i would abuse it too hard with a turbo, not because it cant handle a turbo. and that 4l80 has done nothing but impress me as well.

i like the square body chevies, just no room for one. of all of the diesels i have used, i never run a 6.2 that works as well as yours. and never one that would best my psd.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
never bought it? i would have put all that chevy powertrain and 10bolt front crap on the ranger for 600 bux....trust me i am not kidding:D

drop a tbi in place of a good running 6.2???/:icon_confused: drop a turbo on the 6.2 i can see.....tbi 350 can go choke on a dick at 3-4 bux a gallon:icon_surprised:

then again, working in current military deployment conditions....the 6.2 is not well placed.

well said. i think most of the cracks are livable as well to reasonable power levels...say 225 crank hp. but i see many more of these fail outright then anything else i have ever heard of. at a shipping yard in florida i looked through nearly 100 failed takeouts last spring. pretty crazy.

my 95 psd has never been touched by a 6.5 though:icon_surprised:...while its on the way out...i would like to see em stacked up. but its beat down 99 up trucks as well.:dunno: maybe your psd is fawked up. what is the unladen 0-60 time on the truck and the van??

big point i would like to hilight....i have run more miles on my engine in one year then you have in 9. not sure if that easier on it or harder...i think it is easier on them running distance.

i believe the main reason my engine has not failed yet is due to no turbo.

because i would abuse it too hard with a turbo, not because it cant handle a turbo. and that 4l80 has done nothing but impress me as well.

i like the square body chevies, just no room for one. of all of the diesels i have used, i never run a 6.2 that works as well as yours. and never one that would best my psd.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals