• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4X4 Lights flashing

guitardude2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry if this information is already somewhere I have searched for a fix and everyone with this problem there 4wd doesn't work at all or so it seemed like. My 4wd works fine shifts from 2wd to 4h and 4l fine and smoothly and lights work as expected except for when driving the lights flash every couple mins. I believe they are flashing 6 times but cant say for sure as I try to watch the road as well. (seems like when I go over 50 kilometers per hour they start)
Fuses are all good, switch must be good as well as motor since it shifts ok. I haven't looked into this a whole lot as far as tests go I just wanted to see if someone else had this issue with the 4wd working fine. It does seem tho that after driving for awhile and trying to select 4wd it doesn't work unless I turn the key off and then on. 1997 ranger with 4.0l and 5 speed, manual hubs. This being my first ranger I am unfamiliar with some things and saw on here some tests at the module but said it was behind the jump seat I have a regular cab so not sure where that would be I know there is some modules related to 4wd behind the radio like the GEM is that the module to test? Any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance.

bigdan002001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I was having pretty much same isses as you are describing. Mine is a 97 as well. I ended up pulling it out and almost have my manual shift swap complete. I believe the issue was either the speed sensor malfunction cause it was pretty messed up when i tried pulling it from old case. More than likely it is the little needle contacts in the shift motor itself. It flashes because it "loses" what position or range the truck is in. Mine would shift fine when stopped and sometimes i would have to turn truck off then back on again. Plus when running in 4x4 sometimes it would take a while to come back out and into 2ed and if i ever wanted to shift back into 4x4 hi it would just blink at me and not engage until stopping and that whole song and dance all over again. In 97 there is no shift control module. The Gem does all the work. It is on left side just behind radio. The bottom most plug is all wires that control 4x4. There is a small black box just a little deeper which is the shift motor control relay. The thing that clicks when u turn the knob on dash. Hope that helps. I have a pic of gem in my album.
Dan

guitardude2007

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the reply. since I already replaced the speed sensor a couple months ago and didn't fix the problem I will try to tear the motor apart and see if I can fix it this weekend. Like you I would also like to go the manual shift route and probly will eventually but for now I just want to work all the bugs out of the truck.

bigdan002001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Good luck in finding all the parts for the swap. I have been gathering parts over the entire summer and just yesterday finally acquired the last piece...the twin stick shift boot. Good luck and let us know if cleaning the contacts in the shift motor works.

Dan

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals