• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New '84 Ranger

TrevorJWillis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just got an '84 ranger and was wondering what kind of cool swaps and stuff I can do with it? It's got the 2.3L 4 cylinder in it now and I want something with more power. Thanks

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
First off, Welcome to TRS

Second, make sure it runs and is reliable. drive it for a few months to learn its quirks and to make sure that it is not going to blow up on you.

After you are reasonably sure that it will last, do a turbo on it. search the site (use Google Custom Search, it works better) and look at what is involved.

Have fun!

(oh btw, there is no real "cheap" way to get performance out of these trucks...)

AJ

coyotefiveoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
if your located in BC Canada i know a perfect donor truck with a running 2.3L Turbo diesel.... i wanna buy it but i just bought a house and cannot afford to right now.... he only wants $500 - rear end is seized, but it runs like a top, i just went and looked at it and drooled at it lol. I own a 86 Factory Turbo diesel that runs great, just wanted spare parts!!! :(

RangerPatrol

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L Cologne V6 / John Deere Dealer Truck
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Sex is muddin', you see the hole, slowly easy into it, than ball to the walls til your motor blows
Hey Im in BC where is the Turbo Diesel located, sounds like it needs a good home.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic

347 stroker in this one....

It also has a C-6, but thats a booger to fit in there

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I just got an '84 ranger and was wondering what kind of cool swaps and stuff I can do with it? It's got the 2.3L 4 cylinder in it now and I want something with more power. Thanks
First off, congrats on the purchase!!!

Everybody builds their vehicles differently. Be sure to drive yours for at least a few months before you really dig into it. Think hard about what specifically you want the truck to accomplish and focus on what it falls short on and address those issues one by one. Otherwise you'll spend a bunch of money and time building a vehicle that still doesn't accomplish what you expect it to or want out of it. And that is a s***ty feeling afterwards as you're back at square one...

A 2.3L turbo is probably the most convenient way to get more engine power with what you already have. You wouldn't need to source other misc parts, and will work fairly cleanly since you already have the 2.3L, most things are already going to be int the correct place with a few exceptions.

To reiterate what's been said above, go fast parts go through money fast. Modding for more power will cost you money, one way or another (and I'm not referring to fuel).

My suggestion, which I feel is a slightly more viable solution for some, is to consider re-gearing the axle(s) if it's too slow off the line. It hurts a little more with a 4wd truck as you have to spend 2X the money, but it might be able to be done more inexpensively than an engine swap, especially if 2wd (but that greatly depends on how much you manage to source the turbo donor for). You can go a bit farther and add in a traction enhancer of some sort (either limited slip or a locker) at this time as well if desired. I went all the way to 4.56 with a 235/75R15 tire, which is pretty deep for that tire size. 70 mph isn't bad at all, even though the engine turns at about 3,000. But the acceleration is sooo much nicer, and it's much easier and peppier starting from a stop. I have no regrets from doing it. The 4 cylinders in these need RPM to do much.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals