• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

180 deg. thermostat

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
What are the advanages of installing a 180 deg. t-stat in my 88 Bronco 2? Will my gas mileage suffer due to the engine running cooler?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
typically yes.
OEM temp is OEM for a reason... if you are daily driving, keep it OEM. I have a 180 in mine right now but it's because i'm having issues somewhere else... with the 180 thermo, my truck's temp is where it should be.

if your cooling system is right, just use OEM and be happy.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
^^^ That.

If the cooling system is in good working order, the stock 195 Tstat is what you want to use. If you use a lower Tstat the engine will not get up to working temp, which will effect mileage and cause additional engine wear.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well there is one advantage..............

Lowering engine temp lowers intake manifold temp and engine compartment temp.
While it isn't much it isn't nothing either.
Lower intake temp means lower air temp which means denser air which means more fuel is added on each power stroke.
This is why MPG goes down.
This is also why "cold air intake" sellers recommend lower temp t-stats, it makes their product look like it did something, lol, when it's actually just the t-stat.

Cooler air is also why people notice they "have more power" in the winter, cooler outside air, and why MPG is less in the winter.

Is the lower temp good for the engine, no, best lubrication happens when engine coolant temp is 200-230degF, all oil weight/viscosity is measured at 212degF
Is it good for MPG, no, see above
Is it good for power, yes, the more gas you can burn the more power you get.

Would you notice this power difference?
maybe, it would depend on outside air temp, and the air temp system on the engine, older systems had separate air temp on the intake, newer have MAF sensors on the air filter.
All fuel injected systems have ECT sensors, these are the EFI system's "choke", it tells computer the coolant temp so computer can set fuel/air rich when engine is cold, then lean it out as engine warms up, if it doesn't warm up then it stays a little rich, you also often get a CEL because it isn't warming up, computer has a timer for engine warm up, 10 minutes I think.
Would it win you a race, no.

Last edited:

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Well I installed a 180 t-stat yesterday to see for myself what to expect, as I have been traveling /camping this summer with the Bronco. And so far it's been running at 185 to 190 degs here in Logan,UT.I have a air/fuel ratio gauge and I have seen it swing over to the first green bar(rich) a few times since the install.With a full load of camping gear and tools(@4500 lbs. gross)I have been getting 21.50 mpg running 60 to 65 mph but also been running @ 200 degs up steep grades here out west.So I'll keep an eye on the gas mileage and if it drops I'll put a new 192 deg t-stat back in. Thanks guys for the info.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
as long as your temps don't stay to low, you'll be fine... just like my B2 right now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals