• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 aluminum valve covers

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
Ooooooo I like alot

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Passenger side wont clear a stock AC airbox I betcha...

edit - also doesn't say which years it works for. When they redesigned the heads for 88 they changed the mounting surface on them.

If Im not mistaken, 89-90 covers work on a 88 or older, but the 88s dont work on a newer engine. (I could be wrong, they might not be interchangeable at all.)

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
It looks like there might be an alternator issue as well. And I was wondering about the years, In the pic it looks like the bottom edge of the mounting surface is shaped more like an 88 or older, the 89 and newer valve covers clearly have a different mounting surface.
88 older
http://images1.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/archive/pictures/279114/600/1/P/7792530/ford_ranger_1990_valve_cover_gasket_set_oem_vs50312t.jpg

89 newer
http://images1.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/archive/pictures/272662/600/1/P/74206CC/ford_ranger_1990_valve_cover_gasket_set_oem_vs50368t.jpg

Also I saw these alloy valve covers and I dont know if they would also fit, anybody know about these?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-Valve-Covers-Panther-Kallista-Ford-V6-2-8i-2-9i-NEW-/390398192862?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5ae58bacde

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sorry meant to reply to this last weekend, but storms had my internet screwed up and then I forgot about it.

Car parts discount is wrong, parts dealers like using stock photos that may not actually be the part they are representing. In this case the photo in the second link is a stock photo, it's actually a 4.0L valve cover set and upper intake manifold gasket.

Unfortunately ...or maybe fortunately... Surrey is also wrong, but in the wrong way. Even if the heads changed slightly in 88 (I don't remember anything, but I see mentions bolt sizes) the valve covers, gaskets, and mount surface remained the same.

I vote for option 3. Many years ago I saw a set of finned aluminum valve covers for the 2.8L that said "Ford V6" in the top. They looked more like the traditional finned style rather than those low wide fins on what you posted. I would imigine that if they existed for the 2.8 they probably did for the 2.9 as well. If you watch the net and swap meets. From the ones you posted, I vote for the first set. The second set is clean, but you don't have a panther kallista and nobody looking under the hood will understand the markings. If you prefer with the second set I'd recommend trying to smooth out your stockers and paint them gloss black, you'd end up with about the same look for a lot less. I'm not sure that the second set would work anyway, they are intended for the 2.9i which used a different EFI system than we have here in the states and I'm not sure if they would clear our intake manifold.

Just a recommendation, but if you want to use a parts store for comparison I recommend Rock Auto. They use manufacturer's part number rather than in house numbers which makes it easier to compare. I've also found that lot more of their photos are of the actual part, and not just stock photos.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals