• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 GURUs....help me...rough idle, random stalling then dead for good. Fuel Problem?

zachis4wheeling

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
drof
Transmission
Automatic
A little background:

A year ago in April, I needed cheap transportation so i Bought the truck related to this post....an 87 Ranger regular cab long bed 4x4 5 speed with the 2.9

I drove it for about 4 months with no problems at all. Then the clutch disintegrated after a dumbass move on my part last year in June. I bought a new truck at this time and parked the Ranger for the past year. Finally a week ago, I got my flywheel resurfaced, bought a new clutch disc and basket as well as a new slave cylinder and pilot bearing. Took a few days, and took my time and put the new clutch in.

Fired the truck up and she ran great. Put a fresh tank of fuel in it, as it was just about empty when I parked it. Drove it for about about a week till I was about 1/2 way empty with the tank. I noticed while driving that it had a rough idle and if I let off the gas, or came to a stop, that I had to keep pumping the gas pedal lightly to keep it running or it would idle really low, below where it is set to idle.....then stall.

Then a few days ago, I decided after work to pull the moldy carpet out. When I went to start the truck after it was done, it turned over and over and over but wouldnt start. I let it sit over night and the next morning it fired right up. I started to drive it to work and on the way it died. I was just driving down the road with my foot on the gas and its like someone just shut the fuel supply off. I let it sit and got a ride into work and had the truck towed back home.

I checked it out today and think it might be the fuel pump, but can't decide....I'm kind of clueless to this truck and fuel systems, etc......

The truck still turns over and I do have spark. I pulled a plug and it is still arcing when you turn the motor over. I have new plugs and wires on the truck. I am going to get a new cap and rotor for it as well.

I have done a little searching on here and don't understand what a lot of what the "experts" on here are talking about with inertia switches, "TFIs", and other parts of the fuel system.

Just need some pointers and if there are other diagnostic type checks I can do before I go and tear this thing apart and start replacing parts that don't need to be replaced. I don't like doing engine diagnosis by financial ruin, replacing parts that don't fix the problem......

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals