• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

rear brake problems

Zozma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
How much should the rear brakes grab? Every time i brake hard it seems like just the front brakes are working and my truck is trying to nose diveand the rear brakes aren't doing anything and I even bypassed the rabs which I'm pretty sure is dead and I've looked at the rear brakes and bleeded them. at this point I have no idea

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Front brakes do most of your braking by far. 75% to 80%. The weight shifts forwards. The most obvious proof is that rear brakes can last a long time while front pads need regular replacement.

They contribute a bit, perhaps mostly keep the rear well...in the rear.

A simple test if RABS is disabled is find a gravel parking lot. Again at a fairly low speed, find a spot that isn't too heavily traveled and stomp on the brake pedal as much as you can to lock up your brakes. You want to be going fast enough to skid maybe a foot or two. After doing this, get out and look. Did all four wheels show skid marks in the dirt? Any that don't which look like it just rolled over the gravel (or dragged much less than others) wasn't getting enough force to lockup. If result is ambiguous try a few times in different spots because sometimes the surface just isn't uniform so a spot might not show as much as others just because of how the surface is.

With RABS working a simple test, on a wet day doing a fairly low speed 20 to 30 MPH slam on your brakes. Front wheels should lock and if your rear brakes (and RABS) are working you should feel the brake pedal pulsate as the RABS kick in to prevent lockup. That however will only tell you that at least one is working, can't be sure about both. This can't be done with four wheel ABS as you don't know which is pulsating.

Zozma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Rabs is bypasse . On gravel the front digs trenches but both back tires look like they just rolled

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Put some weight in the bed and try again. Brakes do more work when there is weight over their axle (go figure, right?). Since a pickup bed weighs almost noting compared to the front of the vehicle it is not surprising that the rear won't lock up and skid.

If you want to test them jack up the rear, hold the brakes, and try to turn the wheels.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals