• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Better Coil Than OEM

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Doing a resto on my new "89 Bronco II, and I'm wondering if anyone has found any real improvements with an aftermarket coil.

My old truck still has the same coil after more than 360,000 miles, so I guess there is no real point in fixing what aint broke, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
I installed a Crane PS-91 coil and noticed a slight improvement in power but the higher voltage output from the coil burnt and melted the plastic around the brass termenials in my dist.cap and started to make the engine miss.So I went back to the stock coil and replaced the dist cap.

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I installed a Crane PS-91 coil and noticed a slight improvement in power but the higher voltage output from the coil burnt and melted the plastic around the brass termenials in my dist.cap and started to make the engine miss.So I went back to the stock coil and replaced the dist cap.
Thanks,

That's pretty much what I expected. I keep seeing reviews of pretty much all aftermarket coils either being unreliable or causing issues.

Of course, I also aware that a lot of guys are running stuff that isn't installed properly, or have other components that aren't matched or installed properly, so I ask those who may be getting what they want.

I've noticed a deafening lack of response from those who are happy with the "upgrade".

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Bfiakas, if u upgrade to a better cap and rotor (Crane,Accel) you wont have that issue again. I'm running a Crane Cams PS-91 coil and HI-6 gold ignition box with Accel cap and rotar on a stock dist. I have never had an issue/problems with the coil and box's compatibility with stock parts. I have absolutely nothing to complain about! Its complete overkill for what I use my truck for, daily driver, towing, off-road, (but mostly repairing). but IMHO its way better than stock.

Last edited:

chazzone

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks Dave, can you tell me how you think that it's better than stock? Were you having issues before you swapped? What motivated you to upgrade?

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
Well actually the stock coil was plenty strong enough. I never had a problem with it, in fact the phrase "out of site, out of mind" is pretty much the perfect description of my trucks stock ign. system. BUT... I also had my formerly running and seriously heated 5.0 sorry I meant "5.8" now sitting in many new piles of parts(please don't ask) So the only reason I upgraded was simply because I had the extra parts sitting in a "huge pile of depression" It's Best to just get over it and put some good parts to good use. Instantly made a noticeable improvement To start up. idle, open throttle. WIDE open throttle, and fuel economy. Now its at the same place my stock setup was at before the upgrade(see the previous "phrase""

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals