• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sputters when cold under load

03machstock

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, having a little trouble with the 88. It does it primarily when cold, and only very rarely at operating temp, although it may be down a little on power when at operating temp. Anyway, it started a while ago and would only do it every now and then, but now, whenever the truck is cold, when a load is on the engine, it spits and sputters like crazy. Almost like something is arcing in the electrical system, but i can not find anything arcing, and it gets better when it gets warm. Any thoughts? Coil? Truck is 88 ranger 2.9 v6 5 speed.
Thanks,
Dan

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ground a screw driver and then wave it around the coil to see if it arcs. My 88 BII did something that sounds similar. I ended up putting an enigne in it for top end issues and that fixed it. Mine would get better the longer it ran but come right back if you turned the engine off for 5 minutes.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When gas engines were switched to fuel injection they still needed a version of a "Choke" to use when engine is cold.
What they used was an ECT sensor, it is similar to the engine temp sender used for the dashboard temp gauge.
The temp sender has 1 wire connected
The ECT sensor has 2 wires.

Those 2 wires go to the computer(PCM) and tell it what the engine temp is, if it is cold then computer runs engine rich with advanced timing, just like the choke did on a carb.
As the engine warms up the computer leans out the mix and starts to use the O2 sensors for lean/rich measurement.

If the ECT sensor was telling the computer that the engine is warm all the time then you would get poor operation until engine actually warmed up.

This is an easy sensor to test with an OHM meter or Volt meter
read here:
http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=28

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals