• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which Brand/Viscosity Motor Oil Should I Use?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Rusty is due for an oil change pretty soon, and this will be the first one since I've owned the truck. Rusty's (original) 2.9L has well over 250k miles, and I can't tell but it looks like it's been a while since it's had an oil change. The only reason I haven't changed it yet is because I'm waiting until I install my new valve cover gaskets, as the old ones leak pretty bad. Since it's just going to blow it all out anyways, I haven't really paid attention to what viscosity oil I've run in it, I know that might not be a great idea, but I haven't the money to keep buying brand new oil for it all the time.

I checked out the 2.9L Tech Page, but I noticed it didn't list an oil viscosity, and my oil cap doesn't say it either. I need to know what viscosity of motor oil I should use, and whether or not purchasing "high mileage" oil is really worth it. What brand do y'all run in your 2.9?

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Pretty sure the 4.0L I had took 5w-20, so the 2.9 probably does as well, but I'm not 100% sure. Come to think of it the 2.3 4 banger I had took 5w-20 as well.

Personally I don't think High mileage oil is worth it. My 4.0L had 160k miles on it and I just used Quaker state, no issues.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Pretty sure the 4.0L I had took 5w-20, so the 2.9 probably does as well, but I'm not 100% sure. Come to think of it the 2.3 4 banger I had took 5w-20 as well.

Personally I don't think High mileage oil is worth it. My 4.0L had 160k miles on it and I just used Quaker state, no issues.
I know that most Fords run 5W-20, but I wasn't sure whether or not mine does. Plus with it being as old as it is I didn't know if I should run something thicker or dump some Lucas in it or what I should do.

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
The colder it is you want lighter oil not thicker.

I run 15w 40 rotella in mine since that's what I always have extra of since I have three diesels.

Sent from my iPhone.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
dude, you opened a can of worms. this topic is a beaten dead horse. A quick search would have told you that.

and engine with those miles I don't think it matters anymore. buy the cheapest or whatever is on sale in a 5w-30 or a 10w-30. My expedition gets supertech because it uses 2qt a week. My Excursion gets Royal Purple because it doesn't use a drop. save your money for a rebuild or 4.0L swap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
dude, you opened a can of worms. this topic is a beaten dead horse. A quick search would have told you that.

and engine with those miles I don't think it matters anymore. buy the cheapest or whatever is on sale in a 5w-30 or a 10w-30. My expedition gets supertech because it uses 2qt a week. My Excursion gets Royal Purple because it doesn't use a drop. save your money for a rebuild or 4.0L swap
I've noticed that everyone here is quick to tell you to "Ouick Search" something. I've tried it a time or two and the results usually don't answer my question satisfactorily, otherwise I probably wouldn't have created a new thread. :D

As far as the oil goes, I want the best performance possible out of the 30 year old 250,000+ mile engine as I can get. I understand that it's a Ranger and not a Mustang, but I still want it as good as it can get. 5W or 10W-30 sounds about right to me, which leaves the question of which brand is the best? I've heard just as many people singing Royal Purple's praises as I have their criticisms, and I've always used Valvoline or Castrol GTX High Mileage, but I'm not really sure which one's the best for my application.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
yep, and what I am telling you is unless you bought that from the original owner and know for a fact that it has always had synthetic oil then don't waste your money. use conventional oil (whatever is the best price) that is a 5W-30 or a 10W-30 and save your money for the inevitable engine swap (wether it be another 2.9L or a 4.0L or a V8 swap).

I run synthetic in my Excursion because it was on original owner thats always had synthetic and I use Royal Purple because of the lab results from when I owned my trucking company. I use supertech in my expedition because its beat to death and burns 2qts a week.

Point is use the cheap oil because that engine has already lived a long life and is not long for an overhaul. running synthetic in it is like putting lip stick on a pig.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Pretty sure the 4.0L I had took 5w-20, so the 2.9 probably does as well, but I'm not 100% sure.
What 4.0s have you been working on? The 4.0 has always taken 5-30.

The 2.9 is recommended to use 10-30, however many of them run better and smoke less on 15-40 these days.

As for brand, just throw a dart at the wall of oil down at AutoZone. Brand isn't really important because they all come from the same tank anyway. Some have more additives, some have less. The additives just clean for the most part, so as long as you change the oil regularly it's not going to make a big difference. Filter brand is more important that oil brand. I will only use Motorcraft or Delco filters. Even working on a MOPAR I will only use Motorcraft or Delco.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Automatic
As for brand, just throw a dart at the wall of oil down at AutoZone. Brand isn't really important because they all come from the same tank anyway. Some have more additives, some have less. The additives just clean for the most part, so as long as you change the oil regularly it's not going to make a big difference. Filter brand is more important that oil brand. I will only use Motorcraft or Delco filters. Even working on a MOPAR I will only use Motorcraft or Delco.
I've always used Motocraft on a Ford and FRAM on anything else. At work we use Premium Guard for all the used cars, but they just look cheap, so I doubt they're the best thing out there.

88SXT

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I refuse to use Motorcraft on anything, I run Fram on everything bc they meet or exceed OE specs and have a nifty non-skid grip on the bottom so you dont have to worry about what size filter wrench to use or if your strap wrench will fit in there.

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I once ran 20w-50 oil in my 2.9 to try and bring back oil pressure, it helped for a while but then the problem came right back, i just run 5w-30 Dexos in my 2.9 because i get it for free at the shop haha. Really doesnt matter what you put in it, with the acception that it is an old engine and not new, then you would want to follow the Ford Specs of 5w-30 or 10w-30 depending on your climate.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I agree with Adsm. Just buy the cheapest 10w30 and worry about the filter. Frams are junk, sorry to hurt everyone's feelings but I cut apart a couple hundred filters year and a Wix is the way to go. Wix makes napas filters btw. If I couldnt find a Wix or napa then get a motorcraft.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals