• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

86 ranger flowmaster exhaust

oleredranger86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey was wanting some opinions I have a 1986 ranger 4x4 reg. Cab long bed with 2.9 and 5spd.I have true duals. Wanting to know what y'all thought about running 2 flowmaster 10 series mufflers and their 1 in 2 out so I was gonna run two pipes out each side b4 the tire. To over the top? Or should I just run 1 muffler and just send the 2 pipes out one side. Any thoughts?

truckerdawg

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31X10.50
Performance would dictate with 2.9 liters or 177 cubic inches one 2 inch pipe and one muffler. Clean out that cat if you can. Maybe you can push it to 2 1/4 inch pipes but unless that thing is built you will not be pumping enough air through it to flow or scavenge the gases fast enough. It will never sound like a V8-trust me.

oleredranger86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't have any cats. So just go with 1 flowmaster? Not looking to sound like a v8 that would be nice but I'll settle with a semi deep rumble

dave2575

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
"BIGGER HAMMER!"
settle with a semi deep rumble"
Don't worry, If you go with the series 10 flowmasters on a true catless dual exhaust coming out each side before the rear tires you will get a VERY DEEP RUMBLE! Try the Flowmaster Delta Force 10 Series with some nascar exhaust tips, save a little space and some clearance.
8335408.jpg

Flowmaster scavenger.jpg

$(KGrHqZHJC4FC2vIR8qJBQ)8S+q9ng~~60_57.jpg

lowprofile_2.png

Last edited:

truckerdawg

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31X10.50
Check a lot of threads of this issue of V6 rumble and you will find it just doesn't happen and especially with smaller ones-I am a fan of the 2.9 kinda- a lot more pep than the 3.0. I had a built 2.9 once. Save money and go the one pipe route. Check out Hooker's Maximum Flow muffler(highest flow rating-better than flowmaster) but not cheap and a hidden exhaust tip-curled down at the rear and barely visible. Deep breathing(cam profile and cubes) with semi-high compression leads to a good deep rumble-not loudness.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals