• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 ranger stalls out

Mv7fd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The truck runs perfect when going to work it's been between 34 and 45 this week but on the way home it'll start to act like it's going to die then it'll buck maybe just a little the shuts off while driving them comes back on and the whole rest of the way home it's fine then today I was at a light and it shut off and I had problems starting it again I'd hold the gas and it would start but when I left off it would die or just die on its own I finally got it started and running maybe took a minute total for all this I just don't know what's doing this

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
What maintenance have you done recently?
This kinda sounds like a filter issue, funky roll over switch, or sensor issues, hard to tell without some more info.
I would suggest pulling codes. Some parts places will do it for you or loan the tool. Then go from there.

Good luck
Rich

JavaG66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If codes aren't being set, have a look at the fuel pumps. Mine was acting similar to this and it turned out to be a bad in-tank pump. Truck cranked up and ran fine with the one HP pump, but after awhile needed that other pump to help out.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
With fuel injection holding down the gas pedal(or pumping it) doesn't do anything, UNLESS the engine was flooded, then allowing more air in(throttle plate open all the way) would dry the flooded plugs faster, but that doesn't sound like the case here.

If you think it might be a fuel issue then the next time it stalls out, try turning the key on, count to 3 then turn it off, repeat this 3 times, then on the 4th time try to start the engine.
A Ford fuel injected system primes the fuel system for 2 seconds when key is first turned on, so fuel pumps start then stop after 2 seconds.
By priming it 3 times you will build up pressure in the system even if a fuel pump is starting to fail or if fuel filter needs to be changed.
If engine fires right up then I would look closer at the filter and then the pumps.

Common issue on older fuel injection systems is the Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR), it is located on the fuel rail(with the injectors), it will have a vacuum line attached to it.
Remove this vacuum line and check it for gasoline, if you see gas or smell gas replace the FPR.

Mv7fd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It just happened yesterday again i had been driving it all around and all of a sudden it shuts off and then picks right back up and it'll do it a bunch then I parked it with it running popped the hood to see if I could see anything and then it just shuts off but if I keep on the gas pedal when it shuts off it'll bring it back to life. I'm thinking fuel pump

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Could be loose connection for the fuel pump or fuel pump relay.

Pumping the gas pedal doesn't really do anything except let more air into the intake, but leaning the mix(adding more air) might keep engine running long enough for the fuel pump to come back on in it's normal off/on routine.

If possible get/rent a fuel pressure tester.
Should have between 30-40psi at the rail, test at idle then at 2,000rpm and hole it there for a minute.
Then shut off engine and watch if pressure goes down, it shouldn't.

If you have a 12v test light you could hook it up in the cab to the inertia switch, passenger kick panel, then you could watch as the computer turns on and off the fuel pump, see if there is a delay, no light, and then a stall.
That would be Fuel pump relay issue

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
check fuel pressure. I had an 88 that had issues and I replaced both pumps 2 times. the in tank is a low pressure lift pump and on the frame is a high pressure pump

Mv7fd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
could it be the idle air censor? tonight when i let it sit and idle it dies twice but would that affect things when i drive also when i let it sit and run the rpm's go kinda funky some times they will go low just like its not running 100%

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
Another suggestion, I just fixed this, again, on my second '88.
I was suffering from an intermittent power loss, just enough to hitch, throw a brief dash light and take off again.
The main loom plug, grey 8 pin, under the brake master can have some issues.
The biggest being a melted/burned main power connection, this loom feeds back to the engine bay from the fuse panel.
I would suggest inspecting this one and cleaning it or repinning a replacement if it needs it.
I did mine yesterday and a test drive up the same road where it hitched earlier showed nothing, I'm hoping it's fixed.

Good Luck
Rich

Mv7fd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This problem doesn't happen all the time which kinda sucks in a way but when it does it I don't lose electrical power because the radio and everything still works but the speedometer gauge starts going down and the rpm gauge drops so I'm guessing something fuel related or air

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals