• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AIT sensor

junkfixr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My truck is too old for Auto Zone to read the code on. I've eliminated everything except Air Charge Temp sensor and o2 sensor. It idles ok, intermittent sputter but smooths back out. It sputters and stalls under normal acceleration but if press it to wide open throttle it goes like crazy. No hesitation, no sputter, no problem.

Has anyone seen the o2 sensor cause these problems? It's what I'm leaning towards. Tune up, fuel pressure test & all other engine sensors have been checked or replaced except these two sensors, and the o2 sensor hasn't been swapped in at least the 7 years that I've owned it. (I've got tons of spare parts & replaced all the obvious ones.) It acts just like a fuel filter problem, but pressure is good and filter is new.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.It runs better when cold and I'm just throwing parts at it now.

Last edited:

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I'd say O2 sensor would be on the short list, but you need codes first if it has any.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/OBD_I.shtml

Just hook the wires up by the diagram and read the Morse code from the test light or check engine light. (If neither are available you can wire in any 12v light.)

It's really not as hard as it looks.

88SXT

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Everything runs better when its cold. Colder air is denser which means more expantion during combustion.

Unless you're talking about when the engine is cold which leads me to believe your problem is related to the fuel trim not adjusting to match engine temps, so either sensor could be the culprit. I broke the head temp sensor on my Accord when I changed the clutch back before Christmas and it ran rich as hell until it warmed up enough for the o2 sensor to read

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals