• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91. 2.9L 4wd. Question

MoonKnight13

Reaction score
Im dumbing down this truck, as in no computer sensors at all.
Heres my issue, basically the engine should run. Im looking for bugs I may encounter beforehand.
I would really rather blowup the 2.9 but the budget doesnt allow for an 8 as yet. BUT this truck needs to be computer free. TIA.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well I haven't seen a carb intake or carb for a 2.9, ever. I know they were supposed to be out there 25 years ago, but they weren't popular, they were expensive.

Without that intake you will never get the 2.9 to run without it's computer. Fuel injection needs the computer and sensors to work.

So I am going to suggest this: Instead of being afraid of and hating EFI, which is better than a carb on every conceivable metric, go learn about it and learn to fix it when it breaks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Computer runs the fuel injection, and controls spark advance/retard timing.

So you are talking about switching to a carb and probably HEI distributor.
First issue is that there are no easy to get carburetor intake manifolds for the 2.9l.
I believe you can order them from companies in England, but haven't checked in quite a few years.
You can convert many distributors to HEI not sure about the 2.9l
In any case it would be expensive.

You may be able to build your own "tri-power"(3 carbs) adapter to use in place of the upper intake, but if you think fuel injection is a pain, multi-carb tuning is no day at the beach :), and you have to do it every month.

I guess the first thing would be to ask why you want to switch to a less reliable and problem prone system and pay good money to do it?
Carbs and distributors were 99% of the problems we had with older vehicles, the only reason some think "they were easier to work on" was because we HAD TO work on them ALL THE TIME, lol, so we just got better at it by shear repetition.
Computer controlled systems hardly ever give us a problem, but if they do, we feel frustrated because we often don't have the skill level, at that moment, to diagnose it.
Nothing wrong with that, we all learn new things as we go thru life, and usually only when we need too, lol, no one was born with the ability to rebuild a carb or diagnose a sensor problem.

The other 1% of the problems were and still are: starter motors, water pumps and alternators, wiz kids at Ford haven't got better versions of those yet.
Although the switch to all electric vehicles does solve all those problems, but will have a whole new set of problems we will have to learn to diagnose.

Granted, as we are 30+ years into computer controlled engines the earlier ones are going to have more problems, from wiring and device failures.

If you want to go with a carb and distributor your best bet would be a 302(5.0l) V8 swap with tranny, 302 was carb and distributor engine originally so there are many options.

Last edited:

MoonKnight13

Reaction score
Im a prepper, I need a vehicle that will not be effected an EMP.

MoonKnight13

Reaction score
I feel Im likely to stick with stock and start building a 302.
I fgured it would be as you said, but ya gta ask.

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Im a prepper, I need a vehicle that will not be effected an EMP.
Sounds like you need to build a gasifier truck. or go diesel:icon_thumby:

Keep your 2.9 Or build your 302 and keep backup replacement electronic parts in a faraday cage in the tool box. easy to build one out of a small metal trashcan with metal lid.
line the inside with cardboard. Just google ideas on how to build them.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You realize that the kind of EMP that will damage the solid state electronics used in EEC-IV EFI systems (what you have now) is also going to do damage to the windings in things like starter motors, alternators, and ignition coils. Right? That will make the starting, charging, and ignition systems unreliable at best.

Carb vehicles are NOT EMP proof. If you want that you need to build a bare-basics diesel, with mechanical injection and air start. That's the only system that won't need electric motors to start and run.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And a mechanical fuel pump.
Basically if you need a battery you gotta problem :)

Diesel would be the way to go, and it park in a metal shed.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
And a mechanical fuel pump.
Basically if you need a battery you gotta problem :)

Diesel would be the way to go, and it park in a metal shed.
With faraday cage and lead lined.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For a bugout or prepper vehicle you are almost better off with a flex fuel.
You can just buy these if you stick with computers.

Or you would need to have/carry two carbs, one jetted for gas the other for ethanol, and change distributor timing when swapping.
Both carbs should be rebuilt with E85 safe parts, and fuel filter and pump needs to be Flex, E85 safe
Gasoline uses 14:1 air:fuel
Ethanol is 12:1
Computer(via O2 sensors) detects the lean mix as ethanol starts coming in to injectors so adjusts mix and timing for best performance.
Flex fuel engines also need larger injectors, just like ethanol carb has larger jets, so it can add more ethanol, per liter of air

Why Flex Fuel?
While you can make bio-diesel if you have the right 'oils' and equipment, you can make ethanol out of pretty much anything that grows, with a simple still, and most people can boil water/mash :), so not a steep learning curve.

And if you are in the US or Canada you are more likely to come across gasoline than diesel if you are scavenging for fuel, and there is a liquor store on almost every corner, lol.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
One other thing to consider. The body of most vehicles will act as a primitive Faraday cage. It has the right materials, structure, and properties but it doesn't protect against high power discharges because the walls aren't thick enough and the glass leaves large gaps that EM and RFI can get through.

If you can arrange the parts correctly, and reinforce the shielding properties of the body the vehicle may be able to protect itself.

MoonKnight13

Reaction score
I'll have to do some research to see if its worthwhile. Thx

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals