• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Issues, Issues, Everywhere there are Issues!...

GetItMuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
No expectations, no regrets.
Hey y'all,
Its me again.
Over the weekend, I replaced the rear brakes (9") on the truck. Initially, I was trying to figure out why my parking brake doesn't work and found that whoever changed brakes last, just didn't bother to hook it up on the pass. side.
Further more, the didn't re-install the PB actuator lever....Had to find one at the JY.
Well, Got her back together but the separator bar (?), between the two shoes at the top, didn't fit. It kept the shoes from contacting the anchor post. Who needs those anyway?!:dunno:
Got it all back together, bled the brakes, rotated the tires and now have a few issues....
1-I have no brakes. It was better before I replaced the PB actuator lever. I can stop but the pedal goes almost to the floor.:icon_confused:
2-It now sounds like the bearings are shot but I cant tell from where. Front, back left, right? Only seems to make the noises when Im doing around 25-40mph. I did replace a wheel stud on both sides in the back so maybe all that beating messed something up?
3-Steering issues. She now wants to go all over the place. Let her drift to the right and she tries to yank to the right. Pull her back to the left and she tries to yank to the left and then back to the right. Theres no correcting. Its a battle the entire drive. :mad:

At one point I had a bounce that felt like drivers side rear and after I rotated the tire, the bounce is somewhat gone but at around 70 it seems to have moved, but still there.
Im thinking I need a wheel balance and alignment.

Any ideas fellas?

Oh, BTW, I still have no Parking brake!:bawling:

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Did the truck make this noise before messing with the rear brakes? Maybe something is out of place and is rubbing inside the brake drum.
I would jack the front end up off the ground and check everything out for wore out parts. Tie rods, ball joints, etc.
I would even double check the lug nuts lol.

GetItMuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Oh, well if that's all.....The tie rods need replaced, ball joints need replaced, camper bushings need replaced....I suppose that those things need to be done before an alignment is going to help with anything. I did re-grease everything which seemed to aid in the hard pulling, instead of help....
No noise before the brake job....will have to pull the drums and check everything again.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Post a pic of the brakes when you get into it again. Both sides. You will have to do the front steering fixes before any meaningful diagnosis.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic

GetItMuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Yes ENJR44, mine look like that...now. Except that the metal piece/bar with the oblong spring on one (Goes between the two shoes) end is missing....

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
That is the parking brake spreader bar. When you apply the parking brake, that bar presses the brake shoes against the drums. No parking brake without it.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
scary.

with either front tire off the ground....how much slop is there in any one direction.

GetItMuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Ok, so NOT having it should affect the function of the brakes, right. Just the parking brake?

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, so NOT having it should affect the function of the brakes, right. Just the parking brake?
Got me. Brakes are sort of important and I think they should be put together the way they were designed. With all the parts and installed correctly. If you don't have them get them from a junk yard or Ford.

MoonKnight13

Reaction score
Muddy, check LMCTRUCK.COM, chooose ford ranger and peruse the catalog for the spreader bar.
I can tell you Autozone doesnt carry it cuz Im a store mgr.
Oreillys might but LMC or ROCK AUTO are best bets

GetItMuddy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Moon, I found it. Its actually called the "Parking brake strut". Oreillys doesn't have it but Advance did in the Dorman Help section. $11 for a bar that could be fabricated in the garage....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals