• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fan clutch

MoonKnight13

Reaction score
2.9L, original fan and fan clutch. How in the sam hell does it come off? Fan broke. Pulley is "behind" or under the clutch and so I cannot get it off. There is no way to pull off but the cut off.
Anyone deal with this? Help pls.

MoonKnight13

Reaction score
My main issue is, will the specialty wrench fit over the bolt heads to hold the pulley? Otherwise the pulley has no way to hold the wrench. Smh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
a socket and breaker bar/ratchet usually do the trick, not sure exactly of your situation

MoonKnight13

Reaction score
Socket wont work. The specialty wrenchs are one fits the fan clutch base nut and the other is supposed to fit the front of the pulley in some way to stabilize it and break the base nut. Its a loaner tool from autozone.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The fan clutch has left handed threads. You turn it to the right to loosen it. There is a very large special wrench that goes over the water pump pulley bolts and is used to hold the pulley still while turning the nut with another wrench.

You can also take the wrench on the nut and hit it hard with a hammer. This is often enough to knock the threads loose.

If you have access to a compressor and an air chisel there is a fan nut wrench set that you can buy which is my preferred method. I have also had good luck just taking a dull chisel bit to a corner of the nut. That works almost 95% of the time.

MoonKnight13

Reaction score
Thats what I'll be working with Adsm08, we'll see whether or not it will actually work in the next day or so.
I was aware it was backward threaded however it is original and being an 1991. Im sure it will be quite an adventure in getting it off. Thanks for the info.

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
To get mine off I just use a 1 1/2" open end wrench and whack the end with a dead blow hammer. This has always worked to break it loose.

MoonKnight13

Reaction score
Looks like Im getn a new water pump and pulley. Broke my wrench and the damn loaner tool from autozone isnt made for my Ford. (Hangs head) oh well, means more new stuff on my ride.
Also, anyone have an extra pulley?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals