• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9l V6 Oil weight question etc.

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
2.9l V6 Oil weight and filter GPM's question

Questions for TRS Forum

I got a 2.9l V6 it has a serious lifter ticking and loss of power going up hill on the highway. I use 10W-30 Valvoline high miledge Smi Synthetic blend. I put SeaFoam in it and that helped I than drained one quart out. I than added Lucas heavy duty Oil Stabilizer one quart. I started it up ticking like hell than within 30min the tick went way. I tested it on the highway 8 miles than ticking again this morning ticking again cold start warm up. Well that afternoon fired it up again no sound no ticking went up hill 6 miles and to town back home on the highway still no ticking. I am very happy but I still have SeaFoam and the 10W-30 in it. My question is should I go to 4 quarts of 10W-40 and a quart of Lucas? or should I go 20W-50 with Lucas?

My other question is what is the best GPM oil filter? I have a Wix Sport truck filter at 7-9GMP. With thicker oil I feel something around 10-12GPM would be best for oil flow rate

The Lucas helped so much I was worried after hearing so much about it. That darn SeaFoam is cleaning like crazy. The quart I pulled out the new oil had only 35 miles on it and was starting to look black. I love my Ranger is real nice and want to keep it alive thank for any help on this issue

Last edited:

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
What I would do with my 2.9's was before I changed the oil I would add a quart of atf then drive it for a day or two. I would use 5/30 motorcraft and a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. It would last for 3,000 miles before it started ticking again.

I don't know about the sea foam. I've never used it. I can't imagine it would be good for it to drive it too much with it since it has been removing all the sludge and carbon that was built up in it. I would change the oil again imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I always used 10-30 and Lucas with a Motorcraft filter. Never had much trouble. The 2.9 is a noisy engine, and the lifter tick is always fatal, so anything you do with thicker oil is just a bandaid on a gunshot wound to the head anyway.

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
built her in a storage unit
I always used 10-30 and Lucas with a Motorcraft filter. Never had much trouble. The 2.9 is a noisy engine, and the lifter tick is always fatal, so anything you do with thicker oil is just a bandaid on a gunshot wound to the head anyway.
the lifter tick is always fatal???? please elaborate

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Noisy lifters are a Cologne design flaw......irritating but not generally fatal. My 89' 2.9L was noisy when I got it and since it had sat for an undetermined amount of time I changed oil/filter and used 20-50 dino. Didn't help, tried adding "lifter quiet", still no help.....checked the OM and it recommended 5w30 Ford synthetic blend. The local Bombaars actually had it in stock for a reasonable price. Changed oil/filter again and it is now much quieter. Not silent as midnight but no longer even annoying. Only ticks a bit on cold start ups. Manufacturers recommend some things for a reason I guess.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
88 XLT Ranger,

-If I pulled out 1 quart that was black, I would do another oil change.
-this is not a "Noisy engine" by design; in fact when the valve train is properly adjusted it will sing the sweet song of increased efficientcy.

The Ford 2.9, 60°v6 uses adjustable rockers arms to properly set the Hydraulic lifter preload. When this is set correctly, not only does it sound great, it will be more fuel efficient!

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Noisy lifters are a Cologne design flaw......irritating but not generally fatal. My 89' 2.9L was noisy when I got it and since it had sat for an undetermined amount of time I changed oil/filter and used 20-50 dino. Didn't help, tried adding "lifter quiet", still no help.....checked the OM and it recommended 5w30 Ford synthetic blend. The local Bombaars actually had it in stock for a reasonable price. Changed oil/filter again and it is now much quieter. Not silent as midnight but no longer even annoying. Only ticks a bit on cold start ups. Manufacturers recommend some things for a reason I guess.
We sold a pile of Cologne V6's from 2.8's in Pintos and Mustang II's thru all the Ranger, Bronco II and Explorer years and never had a problem with noisy lifters that we couldn't fix. 2.8's had solid lifters that needed adjustment every 15k, all the others have adjustable hydraulic lifters that we would adjust after engine work and never touch again. We also stressed maintenance so our customers didn't follow the 7500 mile service interval and didn't have excessive engine wear. If a problem appears after 20+ years of use, it's not a "design flaw" it's wear and usually lack of maintenance.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I run 10w40 valvoline high mileage synthetic blend and a quart of lucas. Keeps it relativly quiet untill its time to change it again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals