• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'86 Ranger has no power

I am me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a ranger and it starts fine but has very little power to drrive. I'm guessing fuel starvation. The gas tank rotted through so I'm sure there's junk in the fuel lines/filter, hopfuy that's the issue. I'm putting a new tank and filter in tomorrow and I'll blow out the fuel lines with my compressor. If thats not it could it be the oxygen sensors? Does this truck even have o2 sensors?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
75 87 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351W , 2.9L , 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yes there is one O2 sensor if its a 2.9 , I am not sure about other engines.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Lack of fuel causes pinging and then stalling.

Lack of power can be lack of air flow in, low compression or lack of "outflow"(exhaust blockage).
Check air filter and air tubes for blockages

O2 sensors should be changed every 100-150k miles, no it won't cause low power, it can cause rich running or pinging.
It doesn't have that much control of air/fuel mix, especially in '86

MAP sensor is the main air/fuel mix sensor in '86, these rarely fail, and idle would be poor

If you have an EGR system it can effect power but idle should be effected as well.

$25 vacuum gauge can tell you engine condition, if exhaust is blocked or compression is low.
Very good tool to have in the box, along with Volt/ohm meter

Vacuum gauge testing here: http://www.gregsengine.com/using-a-vacuum-gauge.html

Any gas engine is still a gas engine no matter how many sensors or controls they add to the outside.
Whether it is 1 cylinder or 16 cylinders, a vacuum gauge is still the first tool I reach for most of the time.

Also just a heads up, the throttle cable can stretch after 30 years of use :)
With engine off press gas pedal down to the floor and put something on it to hold it down, or a stick against the seat works.
Now go to the engine and check if the throttle can be opened more at that end, if so, then you are not getting full throttle with the gas pedal.

Google: Ranger throttle cable mod

Easy fix if needed

Last edited:

I am me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
So I had a big response written up but my phone refreshed the page and deleted it so here's the summary. The o2 sensor couldn't be making it run lean? Starting fine and idling but not having much power is what all my small carburted engines axt like when I run them to lean. It has no air filter so that's not restricting anything. It idles like a carburated engine with a really low idle, you have to tap the gas sometimes to keep it running. The head gasket is leaking oil so seals might be the issue. doesn't sound like a simple fix so I'm not going to do it, I bought the truck to do a TD swap

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals