• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 2.9L running rough when warm..

Bfg95 88 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2,9L
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

I'm having this issue with my 1988 Ranger Xlt 2.9, Starts just fine in cold or hot weather but after 10-15 min driving (starting to get to operating tempeture) it starts to die and go rough and starts to spit small ammouth of black smoke out of the exhaust, but if i floor it it changes gear and goes just how it should but as soon as i hold it to normal speed 80km/t (50mph) it starts to go rough again.. :icon_confused:

Anyone know what could be wrong? haven't been changing anything yet.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Could be a number of things. My fuel pump went kinda like that lol. Dies it start good when the engine is warm?

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

Bfg95 88 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2,9L
Transmission
Automatic
Could be a number of things. My fuel pump went kinda like that lol. Dies it start good when the engine is warm?

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

hmm okei, yeah it starts right off when it's warm. sometimes it goes as it should, but it use to stand there and sound rough almost dying.

Accelerate just fine until i stop pusing it to 50mph and then it starts to smoke a little and starts to spitting a little.. can't figure out what it could be :/

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Sounds like a coolant temp sensor or possibly an O2...is it throwing any codes?

Bfg95 88 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2,9L
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm.. Yeah could be the O2 sensor.. i haven't tried doing that code testing ( not sure how to do it on this one), it also uses alot of fuel but might be because of the problem.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My first and easy guess is the engine temperature sensor and they are cheap enough. The two wire sensor. The one wire sensor is for the gauge.

The ETS is used to determine when the computer can lean out the fuel ratio for a warm engine.

Bfg95 88 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2,9L
Transmission
Automatic
My first and easy guess is the engine temperature sensor and they are cheap enough. The two wire sensor. The one wire sensor is for the gauge.

The ETS is used to determine when the computer can lean out the fuel ratio for a warm engine.

Yeah could be that one too, I also noticed that he can start going rough already when i fire it up when the engines cold and it goes up to 1500rpm and stays like that for 10sec - 30sec and then to 1000(normal rpm) , and then sometimes starts to go down to 500 and jump to 800 and back to 500, keeps on like that until it dies or goes back to 1000 then it sounds just fine (cold engine) :icon_confused: :icon_confused:

Bfg95 88 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2,9L
Transmission
Automatic
I tried to disconnect the Oxygen sensor, and he ran just fine with some driving around and got it to normal temperature, when I was going to park it, he started to go a little rough, I gave it some throttle 2 times and the Check Engine light came on, but it ran just fine after that. the check engine light came of after i connected O2 sensor again.

I suggest the O2 sensor is the problem? or anyone have any other ideas? :shok:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals